3-die or 4-die sets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 3-die or 4-die sets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 3-die or 4-die sets

New reloader here, still getting my gear together. I haven't bought dies yet. Does it really matter if I get a 3-die set instead of a 4-die set? I'm going to start with 9mm and .380 auto. Might eventually reload 38.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 572 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 176

The fourth die is a factory crimp die, that I've never had a reason to use. I reload all the calibers you listed, plus a few more. I've been reloading for years and all my rounds go bang and cycle just fine. BTW, I use nothing but Lee dies and equipment. good luck and enjoy your new hobby

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #3

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

You can buy the 4 die set and have all the dies for that caliber, or buy the 3 die set and spend a lot more on the 4th die later.

Your choice.
Jim

And I do use the 4th die all the time.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
And I do use the 4th die all the time.
Does it add a lot more time? I've ordered the Hornady LNL single stage press.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #5

Liked 2745 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 2645

It's always better to crimp separately from seating. Go with the four die set. If your loading on a single stage, obviously time isn't a factor.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #6

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
The fourth die is a factory crimp die, that I've never had a reason to use. I reload all the calibers you listed, plus a few more. I've been reloading for years and all my rounds go bang and cycle just fine. BTW, I use nothing but Lee dies and equipment. good luck and enjoy your new hobby
First a 4 die set from Lee adds the factory crimp die. This is hands down the best crimp die on the market for pistol ammo. 3 die sets have the crimp built into the seating die on all pistol dies (Unless you order the 4 die set).

As far as the "I never crimp anything" BS. If you load rifle ammo and don't back the seater die out 1/4 to 1/2 turn then you are putting a roll crimp on your rifle loads. If you are loading for pistol whether revolver or semi you better be crimping. To function properly all semiauto rounds like the 9mm, 380acp, 40 smith, 45acp etc.... HAVE TO have a taper crimp. When reloading 9mm or others in the semi auto category Your first step should be resizing and depriming then comes flare and powder if you are using a progressive, then the bullet is seated then crimped (Both at the same time if you have a 3 die set). If you are loading for revolver you need to roll crimp into the canlure on every revolver bullet out there. 357 and 44 mag revolver will set the bullets back in the case from the recoil with no crimp. That is unless you use one of the very FEW bullets that don't have a canular.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 572 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
First a 4 die set from Lee adds the factory crimp die. This is hands down the best crimp die on the market for pistol ammo. 3 die sets have the crimp built into the seating die on all pistol dies (Unless you order the 4 die set).

As far as the "I never crimp anything" BS. If you load rifle ammo and don't back the seater die out 1/4 to 1/2 turn then you are putting a roll crimp on your rifle loads. If you are loading for pistol whether revolver or semi you better be crimping. To function properly all semiauto rounds like the 9mm, 380acp, 40 smith, 45acp etc.... HAVE TO have a taper crimp. When reloading 9mm or others in the semi auto category Your first step should be resizing and depriming then comes flare and powder if you are using a progressive, then the bullet is seated then crimped (Both at the same time if you have a 3 die set). If you are loading for revolver you need to roll crimp into the canlure on every revolver bullet out there. 357 and 44 mag revolver will set the bullets back in the case from the recoil with no crimp. That is unless you use one of the very FEW bullets that don't have a canular.
You need to read my post again. I crimp all my rounds. I just don't use the factory crimp die. I crimp and seat at the same time.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal View Post
Does it add a lot more time? I've ordered the Hornady LNL single stage press.
With a progressive it will not add any time.

Resize deprime down stroke it will prime the case then advance it to the next station where it will add powder and slightly flare the case. Then advance them to the next station where you where you will either seat and crimp or seat. Then advanced it again and it will crimp. YMMV.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
You need to read my post again. I crimp all my rounds. I just don't use the factory crimp die. I crimp and seat at the same time.
My apologies good sir.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1064 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I agree cept for the last few words.

The 4 die set is the same as the 3 die set as the Seating die will taper crimp for both. The 4 die set gives you the option of seating and crimping with the seating die, or Seat and crimp with separate dies.
The 4 die set is by far the better option of the two.