257 weatherby problem

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 257 weatherby problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 257 weatherby problem

hi my name is Curtis Keller I am 12 years old, and I have a 257 weatherby in a remington model 700 sps stainless. I have been reloading for it and I have been having issues with the brass going in hard after about the fourth or fifth shot with neck sizing. My bolt face also collects some brass on it too. I have tried full length sizing after shooting the factory norma brass once and that just makes it go in hard too, but then I can shoot it and it goes in easy until the fourth and fifth reloading then they start going in hard again. This gun has no problem with shooting 1/2-1inch groups at 100 yards.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Welcome to the forum. Are you trimming the cases to length
as part of your reloading process?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Welcome to the forum. Are you trimming the cases to length
as part of your reloading process?
Yeah I second this. What say you?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #4

[QUOTE=curtisj;621362]hi my name is Curtis Keller I am 12 years old, and I have a 257 weatherby in a remington model 700 sps stainless. I have been reloading for it and I have been having issues with the brass going in hard after about the fourth or fifth shot with neck sizing. My bolt face also collects some brass on it too. I have tried full length sizing after shooting the factory norma brass once and that just makes it go in hard too, but then I can shoot it and it goes in easy until the fourth and fifth reloading then they start going in hard again. This gun has no problem with shooting 1/2-1inch groups at 100 yards.

Yes I am trimming my cases to a couple thousands below the minimum length I am going to try inside neck reeming tonight.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #5

Yes I am trimming my cases to a couple thousands below the minimum length I am going to try inside neck reeming tonight.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Your dies could be the problem also.
Try loading a new unfired case in the rifle.If it goes in easy,then resize it with your dies,and try it in the rifle again.If it is hard to close the bolt,you might need some new dies.

It's nice to here from a young man that's into reloading.Who taught you how to reload?

Also,if you are loading older brass,it probably needs the necks annealed.I anneal all of my bottleneck cases every 5 firings.If you don't,the brass gets hard and won't resize properly.That will also cause the problems that your having.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #7

Ya I suppose that the dies could be the problem cause it is doing the same thing in my dads gun,but I have a neck sizer die that after 4-5 reloadings my brasss start goin hard and the fifth shot in my dads gun split the necks with neck sizing. My dad and my uncle taught me how to reload cause they have have been doing it for a long time.They do not know what the heck is going on either.What is annealing. I tried that taking a new brass and running it through the full length sizer die instead of the neck sizer and it goes into my gun good

Last edited by curtisj; 11-15-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Anealing will extend the length of the cases. Brass work hardens. Anealing corrects this.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Anealing will extend the length of the cases. Brass work hardens. Anealing corrects this.
anealing is slightly heating the neck up to a certain temperature, not sure of the temp, to soften the brass a little. they make some tools to be able to do this with a propane torch. i think Midway has a set of tools to do it with for different size cases.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #10

Thanks to you guys I figured out the problem and the thing that I have to is after the first shot I have to full length resise and then neck size and i get 7-8 reloadings out of it then.