243 WCF Barns 85TSX
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 243 WCF Barns 85TSX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default 243 WCF Barns 85TSX

As my handel suggests my cailber of love is the 358 WCF; it takes no prisnors! Have never had to track any game I've shot with it. With that saying, the wife has a 243 (hell I have two) I've loaded some good varmint/target rounds; but (I know I may start a firestorm) I 've found it lacking in deer size game. This is with shamefuly factory loads especialy, and regular bullets. Hence why I've thought about switching to Barns; used them in everything from my 257 Roberts Imp, 7X57 Imp, 308, 3006, and the mighty 358. THEY WORK! Trouble is what would be a accurate hunting load?
Her rifle is a sweet almost new condintion 788 w/a 22" Bbl; my newest piece is a Rem. 700 w/ 18" Bbl both factory barrels, the Rem. 700 is brandy new virgin, w/ syn stock. Taking a young hunter with me to GA, in a few weeks, thought it would be a good platform for him. Any help out there?

"A man with rust on his gun, is man without honor"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I load .243 for my friend wifes rifle Using IMR-4350 and Nosler 95gr. Partition it's been dropping them ever year,haven't shot any of the Barnes bullets but don't see why they wouldn't work very well.

If you don't have any load info you can contact them at 1-800-574-9200 or email tyh@barnesbullets.com.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 243 data

Hey thanks,

I did a little search on their site on the web; their accuracy loads uses a powder I don’t have. Time is close at hand, happens every year. Customers pour in wanting their old Betsey to be repaired at the last moment; a serious charge is applied to late season work. I always get set back on my own stuf; howver this year I’ve managed to catch up, so I’m working on my stuff. I’m think of using IMR 4350 or 4831 sounds about the right burning rate. I had a nice reduce load I used for Sporter High Power shooting, 25 grains IMR or H 4895 with a Remington 100 grain bulk bullet, it would do a one knot hole, and was real easy on the brass and primer, and $$$$$.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 243 data

Well shot the littel 243, did my majic on the rifle {bedding, lapping, polishing, cussing, the normal stuff) REPLACED the stupid PLASTIC trigger guard! And filled that dam hollow plastic stock up with something other than a folded up piece of foam packing material; come on Remington, you can do better than that! She weighs a littel heavy for most, @ 9.0 pounds with scope; but very stable, and now she doesn't sound hollow. Don't even get me started on the plastic parts today! In any event, with factory Remington 100 loads, she shot a 10 shot group under 3/8 of an inch! And that was with my hunting buddy who can't seem to hold a rifle steady on the bench. Getting ready now to load up some of the Barns 85's..

dsc01402.jpg  

Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 243 data Barnes 85 TSX

OK; the littel carbine did her part, nice 5 shot group about 5/16 CC with the Barnes 85 TSX; using IMR 4350-43 grains RP w R 9 1/2, used the same load with Rem 100 PSP and about the same group and point of aim! Question is; will this go through side to side? Thats the whole reason Im shying away from the Factory Rem 100 PSP. I like pentration, blood trail if they run; reason I usualy use a bigger bore. But had surgery, still recovering so the light recoil of the 243 is a factor.