.243/6mm FMJ bullets - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .243/6mm FMJ bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim
I load the 85, 95 and 105 grain Hornady V-max & A-max for 243, you should have no problems at all with the FMJ. I have this thing for little red tips on my 223, 243, 270 and 30-06s.

They will be fine load and enjoy.
Jim
See, I'm the opposite. I find FMJ to look more aggressive. If it preformed better as a hunting round and was legal, it's what I'd use. But I get the feeling I'd lose waaay to many animals using them.

Right now I'm actually making some loads up for this bullet. So far I've decided and load with 39.6gr of Accurate 4350 and then because I've had good experience with a different bullet design but same weight, I'm going to try 39.9gr of the same powder. From there I'll probably just add another .3gr till I'm done three more loads. Then all ill have to do is find a chance to go see which works best.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6344 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 5923

I've used these bullets in a 6mm Remington for long range coyote hunting. They kill well but do little damage to pelts.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
I've used these bullets in a 6mm Remington for long range coyote hunting. They kill well but do little damage to pelts.
Woah.....that's really surprising. I've heard of people using FMJs for coyote sized game, but for some reason it always seems like its be against the law do to the fact that its not an expanding bullet.

Out of curiosity, how well did it do its job of putting the dog down in a human manner? The reason I'm asking is that if it does a pretty good job and doesn't leave the dog to run more then a few yards, I might use them next winter. Pending how they group as well.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6344 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 5923

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Woah.....that's really surprising. I've heard of people using FMJs for coyote sized game, but for some reason it always seems like its be against the law do to the fact that its not an expanding bullet.

Out of curiosity, how well did it do its job of putting the dog down in a human manner? The reason I'm asking is that if it does a pretty good job and doesn't leave the dog to run more then a few yards, I might use them next winter. Pending how they group as well.
In a high velocity round like the 6mm Remington, they kill quite well. The high velocity messes up the innards pretty well.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

In a high velocity round like the 6mm Remington, they kill quite well. The high velocity messes up the innards pretty well.
Well that's some good news. I did a quick check and with the powder I'm using, it looks like I'd be in the same FPS range as some of the 6mm Remington loads. They all seem to be right around the 2900-3000 mark, so in theory these should work just as well.....but I'd rather try it out on some blastics gell or something first. That way I can get a rough idea of how it performs.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2952 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
That's good news. I've yet to use anything other then Hornady bullets yet, but I've liked how all the ones I've used have preformed with the exception of their 80 BTHP. It could be because I tested their expansion out on two milk jugs, but they didn't really seem to open up all to well.....it's actually what got me searching for FMJs in 6mm/.243
The maority of hollow point rifle bullets are not mae for expansion, but for accuracy. The HP puts the weight slightly more toward the base. The expansion performance is not consistent

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

The maority of hollow point rifle bullets are not mae for expansion, but for accuracy. The HP puts the weight slightly more toward the base. The expansion performance is not consistent
When I looked at the bullet I wasn't really thinking it'd expand all to well. Just didn't look like the cavity was bit enough to allow enough material in to open it up. I did how ever get some amazing groups while shooting them though.