Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .243/6mm FMJ bullets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/243-6mm-fmj-bullets-89763/)

kaido 04-29-2013 01:26 AM

I know I'll get the whole "do you normally ask after buying stuff?" Question, so before it comes down to that, no I do not. I've already got a reason for buying these bullets.

Now that that's out of the way, have any of you guys used the 80gr FMJs offered up by Hornady? I'm just curious as to who's used them and how they've found them to preform? I'm not planning on using them for hunting at all, well aside from maybe a gopher here and there. I'm just looking to extend the life of my self healing targets by a little bit since SPs I've been using look like they do a good number to them.

It doesn't have to be a .243 you've used them in, just anything firing a 6mm pill really.

rocshaman 04-29-2013 01:30 AM

Hornady is quality ammo, period. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with it. One thing to consider, when sighting in your rifle, sight it in for that particular ammo. Hornady is hot and she's gonna fly different.

kaido 04-29-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocshaman
Hornady is quality ammo, period. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with it. One thing to consider, when sighting in your rifle, sight it in for that particular ammo. Hornady is hot and she's gonna fly different.

I probably should of specified a little better. I bought just the bullet it's self, not a cartridge. I'm planning on reloading using these to see how things go with it.....also partly for the cool factor. If these prove to have a good group come out of them, I'll sight in for said load, but right now it's more of a testing phase.

rocshaman 04-29-2013 01:47 AM

Sorry kaido, should have known when you said bullets and not cartidges. Still, Hornady is good stuff.

kaido 04-29-2013 01:55 AM

It's all good, everyone gets a little a head of them selfs from time to time. I know for a fact I'm pretty bad for it. Haha

Axxe55 04-29-2013 02:37 AM

Kaido, i use quite a bit of hornady bullets for different loads, including some FMJ bullets, not in 6mm but other calibers. IMO, i don't think you'll be disappointed. Hornady makes a good line of products. i have had very good luck with all the Hornady bullets i have used so far.

kaido 04-29-2013 03:03 AM

That's good news. I've yet to use anything other then Hornady bullets yet, but I've liked how all the ones I've used have preformed with the exception of their 80 BTHP. It could be because I tested their expansion out on two milk jugs, but they didn't really seem to open up all to well.....it's actually what got me searching for FMJs in 6mm/.243

Axxe55 04-29-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 1230732)
That's good news. I've yet to use anything other then Hornady bullets yet, but I've liked how all the ones I've used have preformed with the exception of their 80 BTHP. It could be because I tested their expansion out on two milk jugs, but they didn't really seem to open up all to well.....it's actually what got me searching for FMJs in 6mm/.243

beings as i don't hunt anymore and pretty much just target shoot, i prefer FMJ bullets or HP for paper.

kaido 04-29-2013 03:32 AM

Makes sense not to use the "higher end" stuff for punching holes in stuff. I'm just tired of seeing where each and every bullet has hit my durra seal targets, also seems like the FMJs are a few bucks cheaper. Not by a hole lot, but still a little cheaper.

bigjim 04-29-2013 03:46 AM

I load the 85, 95 and 105 grain Hornady V-max & A-max for 243, you should have no problems at all with the FMJ. I have this thing for little red tips on my 223, 243, 270 and 30-06s.

They will be fine load and enjoy.
Jim