Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 230g 45ACP Golden Sabre reloading????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 230g 45ACP Golden Sabre reloading????

I have looked everywhere I know to look and can find only one recipe for reloading the 45 Golden Sabre bullet.
I generally use Bullseye or Unique for my 45s but wonder what everyone or anyone else uses with this bullet.
Thanks for any and all help with this!!!

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." - James Madison, author of the Second Amendment
NRA: Certified; Home Firearm Safety, Certified; Pistol, Certified; Refuse To Be A victim, Range Safety Officer, Ohio CCW Instructor.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

any recipe for a jacketed 230 gr bullet will work.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Remember, ANY change in components requires you to reduce the load and work up a new load. Different 230gr JHP's will exhibit different pressure readings with a given powder charge/primer combination. Different jacket thickness and bearing surface have a direct effect on pressure.
The Golden Sabre is brass jacketed. Brass is less ductile than copper. A brass jacketed bullet of the exact same design will have different pressure characteristics than one with a copper jacket. I would expect the brass jacket to yield higher pressures.
NEVER swap components w/out working up a new load.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Remember, ANY change in components requires you to reduce the load and work up a new load. Different 230gr JHP's will exhibit different pressure readings with a given powder charge/primer combination. Different jacket thickness and bearing surface have a direct effect on pressure.
The Golden Sabre is brass jacketed. Brass is less ductile than copper. A brass jacketed bullet of the exact same design will have different pressure characteristics than one with a copper jacket. I would expect the brass jacket to yield higher pressures.
Thread officially KILLED......

Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Which reitterates, always work a load up from the bottom.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm just curious as to why you want to load that bullet. Not trying to stop you but that is a pricey bullet just to plink with and I hope you aren't planning to use them as a self defense round.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #7

OK, I had planned all along to "build" my load. I was curious because the design of the Golden Sabre is unique and was wondering what other people had experienced..
I have done that now and will share my findings. I worked up to 5.6 grains of bullseye with no signs of excessive pressures... 875fps with OAL of 1.235. 4.4 inch barrel of Sig P220 Elite.
The design of the GS is a bit different than any other bullet I've used. The bearing surface is only about a third of the bullet length with the front 2/3 of the bullet considerably smaller in diameter than the base area. This makes crimping a bit more involved having to use a factory crimp die because the roll crimp deforms (bulges) the case at the base of the bullet area becuase the bullet at the top of the brass is so much smaller than the base..
Having built a couple of other 45ACP bullet recipes the GS seems to actually create less pressure probably because of the relatively small bearing surface and it moves further down the barrel before the lands contact the bullet.?
It also seems to be very accurate compared to other bullets I've been using, including some quality factory loads.
Why? For less expensive practice with my personal defense round, that's why. Setting it up to mimic the factory load. Yes it is to be used as personal defense but please don't go with the "potential" legal problems. I've done nothing to modify the bullet and it's no where near a +P load. I've talked to our Sheriff and a couple lawyer friends and there is no problematic threatening legal precidence here and something I am willing to deal with. Several of our local law enforcement reload, not for duty but for home.

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." - James Madison, author of the Second Amendment
NRA: Certified; Home Firearm Safety, Certified; Pistol, Certified; Refuse To Be A victim, Range Safety Officer, Ohio CCW Instructor.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm no reloading guy, but doesn't this round use a special low flash powder?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Most of your "defensive" ammo is loaded with triple base "low flash" powder. Very hard to get such powders by the pound.
IF you were to choose to use handloads in a defensive situation; A. Keep your mouth shut, B. use the same cases as the factory ammo, and C. be prepared for a scumbag Personal Injury lawyer to use the ammo as a point of contention in a civil trial. They might not get a lot of mileage with it, but they WILL bring it up.
Once again, refer to A.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #10

I only use new brass for my personal defense loads. With the G.S. I use only Remington brass. I do try using common sense..... at least on occasion...
In a case of self defense from an active threat, ammo will make no difference for a defendant.
Having said that, I would like to see any recent court actions that have been decided against a legal defender towards a threat because of the pistol ammo used, especially in a state with a Castle Doctrine.
Please, NO "I heard" stuff, but real factual court cases.