? on .22LR for use in a pistol - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > ? on .22LR for use in a pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

What else would you use?
About the only way to see what your gun likes is to try it-Right now buy & try what you can find-
As for the conversion i'd suggest you just buy a 1911-22
The ammo you are questioning is probably aguila super colibri. 20 gr. Bullet and primer propelled...does not cycle at all in a semi-auto Bc they are too short...however my revolver loves them for plinking close range. DO NOT use them in a rifle either...projectile jams easily in a long barrel.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

coyotex Likes This 
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #12

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Anything CCI is great. CCI blazer bulk, ran 100 flawless rounds in 1 day. Awesome company.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
coyotex Likes This 
Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spif View Post
I don't have a 22 conversion for my 1911 but I do shoot a lot of 22's in my High Standard Trophy. In the older High Standard's I shoot standard velocity only. I usually use CCI or Eley sport. There have been a lot of reports of cracked frames in these guns. They crack between the slide stop and mag well. Subsonic's too light to make it function. Everyone that I know says the they like CCI mini mags in their 1911 conversions. Good luck finding anything now!
I own a few High Standards and compete in bullseye with one and have shot as high as master-level before (was having a great day = usually stay at expert level though) I would never run anything over 1100 fps in these pistols because they are old/valuable,and too much speed makes acccuracy suffer. If you didnt already know,you can buy after-market barrels with integrated rails built on top of them for optics mounting. Takes about 30 seconds to switch them out. Brownells sells them.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2574 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotex View Post
I have alot of experience in using .22lr ammo = if I were going to use .22 in a handgun or rifle for self-defense (Aquila 60 Gr.n subsonic sniper's are the bomb) Ive cronographed these through a 10/22 - 20" barrel and they run at 900 fps = ALOT of energy for a .22 and they always cycle and are accurate = slower is good as far as accuracy in a .22, the really fast stuff buffets and accuracy suffers. Heavy is always good - rimfire or centerfire but especially with rimfire because wind effect its greatly reduced and it will do more damage because of tumbling efffect. A 60 gr.n bullet is heavier than the 55 gr.n >223/5.56 fmj which is the most common projectile used in our military. At 900 fps it will cycle any semi-auto hangun or rifle (Ive used them in my Ruger Mark 2 and my 10/22 with NO FTE's) using my pistol it left a hole that resembled a .38 in an old fiberglass boat hull while Aquila 1750 fps left a perfect .22 hole. Expect to pay about $6 a box but its not plinking ammo anyway. I personally am not a fan of .22 conversions in AR's or 1911's but if you must go that route then you probably want fast/high energy ammo to ensure no cycling issues. Hope this helps = I keep a brick of 60Grn. Aquila as a stash = its GREAT stuff people.
It probably left that big hole because it was tumbling. The 60 grain Aguila needs a 1:9 twist to stabilize properly.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

coyotex Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #15

Not trying to be a smart a@@ = but of course it tumbled = thats why I would recommend using it as self-defense in a hangun or a rifle. We have tested it at 109 yd.s (100 meters) with our 10/22's which do not have 1/9 twist and we were hiting an 8 " diameter swinging target EVERY time using a little Kentucky windage @ 100 meters. This is GREAT ammo for your pistol if thats what your carrying cause it will tumble no matter how close or how far = Wicked = not wanting to argue,just wanting you guys to know that weve tested this stuff and I for one am a big believer in it. I personally prefer .40 or .357 for self defense.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
The ammo you are questioning is probably aguila super colibri. 20 gr. Bullet and primer propelled...does not cycle at all in a semi-auto Bc they are too short...however my revolver loves them for plinking close range. DO NOT use them in a rifle either...projectile jams easily in a long barrel.
PLEASE do not try to use colibris in anything but a .22 revolver cause you could shoot a squib (doesnt exit barrel) just in case you arent familiar with the word. If you pull the trigger again = God help you friend cause your gonna need his help. Im holding a box of Super Colibris in my hand and I have shot them in a .22 revolver and I know that the lack of noise is very nice for a multitude of reasons but even at 20 gr.ns they are only primer propelled and can be ultra dangerous if not used in the proper firearm (just confirming and trying to add how dangerous these puppies truely are if not properly used)

Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #17

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotex View Post

PLEASE do not try to use colibris in anything but a .22 revolver cause you could shoot a squib (doesnt exit barrel) just in case you arent familiar with the word. If you pull the trigger again = God help you friend cause your gonna need his help. Im holding a box of Super Colibris in my hand and I have shot them in a .22 revolver and I know that the lack of noise is very nice for a multitude of reasons but even at 20 gr.ns they are only primer propelled and can be ultra dangerous if not used in the proper firearm (just confirming and trying to add how dangerous these puppies truely are if not properly used)
Hence my original post...but thanks for verifying....perfect can busters in the backyard!

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

coyotex Likes This