.22LR question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .22LR question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22LR question

i'm looking at getting a .22 pistol to plink cans in the backyard.

is all .22LR standard? or is there special rounds semi-auto pistols?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Most of it is 'Standard", there isn't any common ammo specially made for handguns, only some VERY expensive target stuff and that can be difficult to even find.

For plinking with a handgun don't get the "hi-velocity" stuff if you have a choice, it's unnecessarly hard on the pistol and it's commonly slightly less accurate too. Hope you are looking at the Rugers.

Last edited by 1hole; 11-15-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #3

All the semi-auto pistols I've seen are chambered in .22LR.
I've seen certain rifles & revolvers chambered in .22 Magnum.
I haven't seen anything new chambered in .22 short for quite awhile.
So I would have to say Yes it's standard.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:23 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

There are a few different rounds for the 22lr.

SUBSONIC which stay below the speed of sound and offer good accuray with slightly less noise.

High velocity is the most standard stuff out there al the bulk packs are Hi velocity. These will shoot any anything chambered for a 22lr and will not harm even semiauto pistols. My Ruger MkII has shots tens of thousands of these rounds and still runs fine.

Hyper velocity rounds Remington Viper, Yellow Jackets and a few others. These are faster and can cause a little more beating on a semiauto action. I would not recomend them for semiauto pistols. Mainly because the extra power is being lost on the shorter barrel.

CCI Stinger: These are NOT standard 22lr rounds. These roudns are slightly longer than a standard 22lr. They will chamber in a normal chamber due to manufacturing variables in 22lr chamber and ammo. I would not shoot these in a semiauto pistol.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ryder View Post
i'm looking at getting a .22 pistol to plink cans in the backyard.
Well, there IS special ammo for plinking cans in the backyard though...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=946854

These contain NO GUNPOWDER and are propelled by the priming mixture only. Since there is no gunpowder they will NOT cycle a semi-auto pistol, and you have to eject each round manually.

However -- they produce very little noise (a slight "pop" vs. a "BANG") which is less likely to stir up the neighbors.

Last edited by Highpower; 11-15-2009 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Forgot the link - Doh!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
There are a few different rounds for the 22lr.

SUBSONIC which stay below the speed of sound and offer good accuray with slightly less noise.

High velocity is the most standard stuff out there al the bulk packs are Hi velocity. These will shoot any anything chambered for a 22lr and will not harm even semiauto pistols. My Ruger MkII has shots tens of thousands of these rounds and still runs fine.

Hyper velocity rounds Remington Viper, Yellow Jackets and a few others. These are faster and can cause a little more beating on a semiauto action. I would not recomend them for semiauto pistols. Mainly because the extra power is being lost on the shorter barrel.

CCI Stinger: These are NOT standard 22lr rounds. These roudns are slightly longer than a standard 22lr. They will chamber in a normal chamber due to manufacturing variables in 22lr chamber and ammo. I would not shoot these in a semiauto pistol.
good to know. i was planning on getting a case of stingers since we tend to shoot alot of squirrels and other small game with our winchester 62 and marlin 39A but i'll get a separate box for the semi auto

these are the ones i was planning on ordering.

Cabela's -- Online Store

Old 11-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default .22 Long Rifle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ryder View Post
good to know. i was planning on getting a case of stingers since we tend to shoot alot of squirrels and other small game with our winchester 62 and marlin 39A but i'll get a separate box for the semi auto

these are the ones i was planning on ordering.

Cabela's -- Online Store
Ryder, you do what you want, but I agree with Tango=WallyWorld has the Federal 36gr HVHP for around $16.00, per 550 rounds, most all the time. That's about all my Ruger MK!! Target has ever shot. Does well good accuracy, no jams, clean as any other load.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 AM   #8

well i use my .22 as a kinda "do all"

its a Winchester model 62, pump, so its not a accurate bolt action.

its my go-to gun for squirrels and other small game, as well as just casual plinking in the back yard.

i know different ammo's have different purposes, put i'll be probably be picking up a .22 semi pistol to practice with and teach my girlfriend to shoot with and am searching for a DO ALL ammo so that i can just buy one bulk load and forget about it.