.223 Vs 5.56 (yes I know the long dreaded debate)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 Vs 5.56 (yes I know the long dreaded debate)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .223 Vs 5.56 (yes I know the long dreaded debate)

Alright for those of us that are new, and to some of those “ ol’ heads” out there here is some enlightening information about that age old dispute between the .223 and 5.56mm NATO. There are some that say there is a difference but cant really put their finger on it, and the others that say there is no difference and they are the same round. Well take a peak at what I’m about to throw down straight out of the Guns&Ammo: Book of the AR-15.

.223 Vs 5.56

I cant discuss ammunition without discussing barrels and chambers. That’s where the cartridge fits and fires, and that’s where the bullet takes life. The first thing to know is that the 5.56x45mm NATO and .223 Remington are not the same. They look the same , but they can be loaded to very different standards. The short course is this: If your barrel is stamped “.223 Remington”, do not fire NATO ammunition; if it’s stamped “5.56” or “NATO” (among other designations which overly complicate this), then mil-spec NATO is fine to use, as is .223 Remington.
Manufacturers can’t seem to agree on how to designate a rifle with a NATO-spec chamber, and some don’t bother stamping them at all. That’s a problem, and it can have serious consequences. NATO-spec ammo fires much hotter than .223 Remington. As long as you know the difference, I’ll refer to it all as .223 from here on.
There are essentially two natures of factory-loaded .223 ammo: mil-type and specialty. Not all the first is the same, to be sure, but its the second group that shows the widest variety. Those variations revolve around the bullet.

This article proceeds to go more into detail about types of box ammo and what you pay for is what you get (essentially). Pretty much white box ammo is garbage. Use good judgement on what you are going out to accomplish. 55 grain ammunitions are not going to be a big deal on paper targets within mid-range, grouping may not be that tight but it wil get the job done. The higher the grain, the better the velocity, the better the grouping at longer ranges.

Bottom line, know what your barrel can handle prior to firing it (dont take the dealers or private parties word for it, look at the barrel itself).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8882 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Good points- and also applies to .308 Winchester vs 7.62 NATO.

Can you? Maybe. Feel lucky?
Should you? No.
Wanna gamble? Buy a lottery ticket.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:10 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Good points- and also applies to .308 Winchester vs 7.62 NATO.

Can you? Maybe. Feel lucky?
Should you? No.
Wanna gamble? Buy a lottery ticket.
No it does not apply to that 7.62 and the 308.
The 7.62 is a lower pressure round than the 308 win. So it is really oppsite than teh stupid 556 223 crap. The only difference is the velocity, pressure and bullet weight.

Why would you want to shoot that mil spec crap anyways? That is just camel fodder in my book.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #4

Default 308/223

more crap: same cases.and different pressure specs.one is copper crusser and the other is piezo.Its just like loading to min and max.you wont find loading dies for 7.62 x 51 or for 5.56.I load both.please you are destroying every ones credablety.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #5

Funny I just got done reading that article in my copy earlier today.