Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   223 subsonic load data (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/223-subsonic-load-data-57431/)

linuxuser3890 02-10-2012 05:57 PM

223 subsonic load data

Anyone reloading heavy bullets in 223 to be subsonic? I'm about to load up some and was looking for some proven load data. Also I am having trouble finding heavy soft points or hollow point bullets locally so since I have to order opinions about potential projectiles are welcome.

If anyone has done this with or without a can please tell me what you have found out. The firearm this is for is an AR.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

robocop10mm 02-11-2012 05:10 AM

You will be hard pressed to find a bullet heavier than 80 gr. Berger makes one in 90 gr. You will need a fast twist barrel (1/7) to have any hopes of stabilization. Even then, with low velocity, you may still get key holes @100.

To load subsonic (under 1100 fps) you will be hard pressed to get enough gas to cycle the action.

I load a 57 gr Hard cast, gas check bullet at 2500 and it will cycle reliably. I found anything lighter than that lost reliability.

linuxuser3890 02-12-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
You will be hard pressed to find a bullet heavier than 80 gr. Berger makes one in 90 gr. You will need a fast twist barrel (1/7) to have any hopes of stabilization. Even then, with low velocity, you may still get key holes @100.

To load subsonic (under 1100 fps) you will be hard pressed to get enough gas to cycle the action.

I load a 57 gr Hard cast, gas check bullet at 2500 and it will cycle reliably. I found anything lighter than that lost reliability.

I do have a 1 to 7 twist rate barrel so not a problem there. I found some 69 gr SMKs locally but I want something that would expand better. As for cycling I already realize its something I may have to give up but its ok for what I want to do with it.

willfully armed 02-12-2012 04:17 PM

Trail boss powder does it great. Squirrel and rabbit loads. Accurate to 100 yds, and hits the 200 yd steel with no adjustment.

Just won't cycle.

linuxuser3890 02-12-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed
Trail boss powder does it great. Squirrel and rabbit loads. Accurate to 100 yds, and hits the 200 yd steel with no adjustment.

Just won't cycle.

You must use a light bullet with that.

willfully armed 02-12-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxuser3890 (Post 706479)
You must use a light bullet with that.

No.

We've done 45-77. Experience trumps hearsay.

linuxuser3890 04-09-2012 01:45 AM

Just tested 2 different batches today. Both used 55g FMJs from winchester and 3.9g of trailboss. First batch I used trimmed cases. The second I didn't trim the cases because it is so much faster that way. Both batches were quiet and accurate. For crimping what I did was set the taper crimp on my die for a slight crimp on the trimmed brass, then I left it there for the untrimmed. COAL was 2.235".

This is a good load that I would suggest to anyone looking to small game hunt with an AR, or if you have a recoil sensitive shooter that you want to start out small. My gal really liked the noise level and the fun she got from it.

If you want more details on this load just say so.

Edit: there was also a girl at the range with her boyfriend that said she enjoyed the sub loads too because they didn't make her jump. I don't think she liked guns because she never shot anything while she was there. So another application for this could be if you have someone that is noise sensitive around you.

sniper762 04-09-2012 03:55 PM

if you are using an ar15 platform you'd do better in getting a 22lr conversion kit. aquilla has 60gr, subsonics. cycling is not a problem.

linuxuser3890 04-09-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762
if you are using an ar15 platform you'd do better in getting a 22lr conversion kit. aquilla has 60gr, subsonics. cycling is not a problem.

Yeah I could do that if I was going to be shooting a lot of these. But I prefer not to spend money on a conversion for cheap ammo when the 50 I loaded are going to last me a while.

sniper762 04-09-2012 05:56 PM

YOU do know that it is not recomended to load jacketed projos in rifles to subsonic velocities (builds excessive pressures). use cast lead. i called sierra reloading tech for .308 susonic info. they said 7gr. of unique behind a cast lead 200 gr. projo for 1050fps.

also no subsonic loads will cycle semi auto actions. my reason for going with the 22 adapter.