.223 reloading questions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 reloading questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .223 reloading questions

Gearing up to start loading for my Colt Match Target HBAR, 16'', 1:9 twist

After reading up on several forums , I am still a little confused.

Would I want SB dies or FL dies?...I have been reading the pros & cons on both. Was thinking of getting the RCBS X FL set.

Also, to use my Lee Auto Disk Powder measure with adjustable charge bar what die do I need. You wouldnt want to flare the case mouth. Is the Lee Auto Disk Rifle charging die the only one available?

Crimp or no Crimp?

I picked up 2 lbs of H335 & Hornady 55gr FMJBT's to start out with. Still waitng for primers.

Just going for some plinking loads right now in the 100 yd range

FYI, I have been loading for 9mm & 45 acp, just never did any kind of rifle loads.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah141nj View Post
Gearing up to start loading for my Colt Match Target HBAR, 16'', 1:9 twist

After reading up on several forums , I am still a little confused.

Would I want SB dies or FL dies?...I have been reading the pros & cons on both. Was thinking of getting the RCBS X FL set.

Also, to use my Lee Auto Disk Powder measure with adjustable charge bar what die do I need. You wouldnt want to flare the case mouth. Is the Lee Auto Disk Rifle charging die the only one available?

Crimp or no Crimp?

I picked up 2 lbs of H335 & Hornady 55gr FMJBT's to start out with. Still waitng for primers.

Just going for some plinking loads right now in the 100 yd range

FYI, I have been loading for 9mm & 45 acp, just never did any kind of rifle loads.

Thanks
Dies. Kind of depends on the use. Accuracy. FL dies. Reliability. SB. the Dillon is essentially small base but turns out some excellent ammo. I have never used the X-die so someone else will have to chime in on those.

I use the Dillon so I am not qualified to answer Auto-Disc questions.

Crimp or no crimp? Cannelured bullets, light crimp. I like the Lee factory crimp die. Make sure you trim the brass to an even length so the crimp is consistent. Non-cannelured bullets. No crimp unless you have feeding issues. Then use a light crimp (very light) to insure the best accuracy.

335 should be a good choice. I prefer W-748 or BLC-2, but they are very similar to 335.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I found if I don't crimp the bullets move .002 when chambered, I always crimp .223 bullets no matter what style. I use H335, 4895 but found that 4064 works the best in my 20", 1 in 9 V-Match.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.