.223 re-sizing die question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 re-sizing die question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default .223 re-sizing die question

To start with, I'm new to reloading. I've reloaded a few thousand pistol cartridges and am now attempting rifle cartridges for the first time. I have all kinds of equipment (given to me by the widow of an old gentleman I was friends with). I already have a (used) Hornady .223 full-length resizing die as well as a RCBS neck-only .223 die. Because my brass comes from various sources, I feel I should use the full length die. I am still at the familiarization stage and not ready to begin the reloading operation. I installed the die in the press and selected a few once-fired cases. The die was installed per the Hornady directions. I noticed that the cases (all of them) are extremely difficult to extract and I'm actually having to "muscle" it out of the die. I suspect there is a problem with the die....because the die is used (and I can't talk to the former owner) I don't trust it. This can't be right. My plan is to send the die back to Hornady for inspection, etc. In the meantime, I'm thinking I should get a NEW die and start from new. I realize I'll probably get lots of different opinions, but can anyone suggest a good full length die for a beginner? (By the way, I also found a brand new Hornady .223 seating die.....the sizing die is used (found inside a 2 die Hornady plastic case) but the seating die was missing from the plastic case and there is a brand new Hornady seating die in a sealed clear plastic package.

Last edited by Professor; 12-24-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Of course you are using some lube on the cases.

Without it, you run the risk of case head separation. Should that happen, you may have to purchase a new die.

Usually, carbide dies do not need lube, but with using a used die, it may not be carbide.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I did forget to mention that it is a carbide die.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Try a couple with a little lube.

Case head separation is a headache.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #5

Liked 144 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Carbide dies do not need lube on the outside of the case, but you may need a shot of lube inside the case neck, as you stated the case is difficult to EXTRACT from the die, not go in. Sounds like the expander ball is having a hard time going into and out of the case neck. I shoot some Hornady One-Shot aerosol lube inside the case mouth, not a lot, just a quick blast.
Unless it's something new that I don't know about, I thought carbide dies where only available for straight-walled cases, not bottle-neck ones. Must be a new development.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5633 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Thanks for the response. I did forget to mention that it is a carbide die.
Carbide rifle dies require lube. Just like a regular die. Only carbide short straightwall pistol cases like 9mm 40 45 etc require no lube.

The carbide on rifle dies like 308 and 556 is coated such to prolong die life for mass bulk loaders not for skipping a lube step. I use a alcohol based spray lube a few squirts on the brass in a box shake the box and off you go.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-24-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 731 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Hold on there Pard. Lets back up here.

As far as I know Hornady does not and never has made a Carbide Rifle die. Dillon yes, Hornady no. Hornady does offer a Carbide expander button, but that is NOT the die itself.

Even if the did, you MUST lube the case carbide or not.

If you are unaware of the lubing process then I would have to assume you are also unaware of many other aspects of the handloading process. I apologize if I am mistaken.

The first thing you need to do it walk away from your loading bench. The second thing you need to do is get a New reloading manual and read it. Not just the load data section in the back half the whole thing. Once you have read the manual, read it again. Then and only then should you belly up to your loading bench.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #8

First thing I've learned is that (as advised) this die DOES require lube. I stand corrected here. Okay, so I tried some lube..... with mixed results. By the way, I had been given some "One Shot" spray and so I used that. Some cases seem to work quite well, and others seem to stick no matter what I did. (Lubing die only, lubing case only, and then lubing both). Here I am unconcerned with damaging something because I really think I won't be comfortable using this die anyway. Good thing, 'cause I now have a stuck case. (LOL). The head did not separate but pulled thru the shell holder. Well, I'm not sweating it because, for some reason, I think the expander is a little off center ....just a hunch, it's hard to tell with the naked eye. And I am still wondering why some cases worked okay and others were a bitch. Again, because I am new, I am only comfortable with a new die. (I still have a brand new Hornady seating die). Any suggestions? If I have to buy a complete set I will....

Old 12-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 731 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 325

You do not have to lube the die, in fact you shouldn't.

One-Shot is notorious for stuck cases. Most of the issues associated with One-Shot are failure to follow directions.

It is imperative that you completely coat the case and Let It Dry. If you use it wet, it will stick the case every time. These instructions should be on the can. "Let it Dry".

Old 12-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5633 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
First thing I've learned is that (as advised) this die DOES require lube. I stand corrected here. Okay, so I tried some lube..... with mixed results. By the way, I had been given some "One Shot" spray and so I used that. Some cases seem to work quite well, and others seem to stick no matter what I did. (Lubing die only, lubing case only, and then lubing both). Here I am unconcerned with damaging something because I really think I won't be comfortable using this die anyway. Good thing, 'cause I now have a stuck case. (LOL). The head did not separate but pulled thru the shell holder. Well, I'm not sweating it because, for some reason, I think the expander is a little off center ....just a hunch, it's hard to tell with the naked eye. And I am still wondering why some cases worked okay and others were a bitch. Again, because I am new, I am only comfortable with a new die. (I still have a brand new Hornady seating die). Any suggestions? If I have to buy a complete set I will....
you need to shake the lube spray vigoursly as the lanolin and alcohol will seperate making it kinda iffy if its sat a while. the first few runs of cases on a new die you need to use a bit more lube than normal. after that the die builds a film of lube and it doesnt take as much once you have run a few hundred cases.

dont spray lube directly into the die itself.

the stiffness is likely the expander ball pulling through the neck. you may have a steel expander which requires lubing the inside of the necks. i prefer carbide expanders as neck lubing sucks

hope that helps

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-24-2013 at 04:47 PM.