Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   223 primers military grade vs regular (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/223-primers-military-grade-vs-regular-96279/)

kjdeut 08-31-2013 06:59 AM

223 primers military grade vs regular

Been given a lot of good reading material regarding reloading 233 for semi autos, but have another question.

Some of the articles I read recommend using military grade primers when reloading for semi autos because of the force of the action. My question is has anyone had bad experience with using the "normal" grade primers? Is using military grade primers the way to go?

Thanks,
Ken

mseric 08-31-2013 01:17 PM

You can use whatever Small rifle primer you wish as long as you seat the primers below flush. It's the occasional high primer that causes issues not the cup thickness. I uniform all my primer pockets so they always seat below flush. It's an extra step, but well worth it for me.

I should clarify, all primers except one! You cannot use the Rem 6 1/2 SR primer in the 223, any 223 especially in a semi-auto 223.

phideaux 08-31-2013 03:17 PM

What he said ^^^^

The Rem 6 1/2 work good for small pistol primers though.;):)
I use them for .357 revolver ammo .

Jim

robocop10mm 08-31-2013 08:21 PM

I use Winchester and CCI SR primers and have NEVER had a slam fire issue. Remington and Federal primers have reputations for having the thinnest, softest cups. They are perhaps more likely to yield a slam fire. The reality is DO NOT drop a round in the chamber and slam the bolt on it. This is asking for a slam fire. The resistance of stripping a round from the mag slows the bolt enough to keep everything working like it should.

mseric 09-01-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1353054)
I use Winchester and CCI SR primers and have NEVER had a slam fire issue. Remington and Federal primers have reputations for having the thinnest, softest cups. They are perhaps more likely to yield a slam fire. The reality is DO NOT drop a round in the chamber and slam the bolt on it. This is asking for a slam fire. The resistance of stripping a round from the mag slows the bolt enough to keep everything working like it should.

Not exactly true. The Rem 6 1/2 has a cup thickness of .020 and is one of the thinnest SR primers. On the other hand the Rem 7 1/2 has a cup thickness of .025 and is one of the thickest SR primers available.

kjdeut 09-01-2013 06:47 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Interesting reading that I will put down in my "Things I learned" list.

Ken

sandog 09-21-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1353054)

I use CCI #41 primers made specifically for 5.56mm loads, but have never had a slam fire using standard primers either. robocop10mm's advice regarding closing the bolt on a round is right on.

aandabooks 09-21-2013 01:38 PM

Rem 7 1/2 is all I've used so far. I have several thousand on hand. Should probably use another brand for my bolt gun to preserve them.

Shade 09-21-2013 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The main reason for this discussion are firearms with free floated firing pins
such as the M16 (AR15), M1 and M14(M1A). Any semi's with a firing pin
spring is likely not going to have an issue.

I have used Remington 6-1/2 SR primers in my 5.56 loads and have not had a
slam fire yet. I do not like using them however with the supply issues we
have had in recent years, I did not have a lot of choice. But whether I have
used a "soft" Rem. 6-1/2 or a CCI 41 (Mil spec) primer I still always get a
small dimple on the primer of any cartridge I load in my AR's.

Seating below flush is a requirement to minimize the possibility of a slam fire.
I attached a excerpt from, Sierra's Reloading Manual, Edition V, on priming
cases for "Gas Guns". The manual has an excellent write up on reloading for
gas guns, and is well worth the read.