Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 Loads Tested

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default .223 Loads Tested

I loaded up 50 Hornady VMax 55gr bullets for my Savage Edge. Loaded 10 at every .5gr through the loading range using TAC powder. Got them out to the range today and took over an hour shooting through them. 100 yards was the range length.

To my surprise, the best group came from the starting load of 22.2gr. I figured that it would come from one of the middle loads. I let the barrel cool some between groups and ran a boresnake between each set of ten. Fired one roung of Wolf ammo before running each ten.

Anybody see anything wrong with my process? This is really my first attempt at load development for accuracy since I started reloading. These are my first rounds for a bolt gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4716 Times on 2692 Posts
Likes Given: 3731

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I loaded up 50 Hornady VMax 55gr bullets for my Savage Edge. Loaded 10 at every .5gr through the loading range using TAC powder. Got them out to the range today and took over an hour shooting through them. 100 yards was the range length.

To my surprise, the best group came from the starting load of 22.2gr. I figured that it would come from one of the middle loads. I let the barrel cool some between groups and ran a boresnake between each set of ten. Fired one roung of Wolf ammo before running each ten.

Anybody see anything wrong with my process? This is really my first attempt at load development for accuracy since I started reloading. These are my first rounds for a bolt gun.

Try actually cleaning between strings.