.223 load development

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 load development

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default .223 load development

G'day everyone

I just bought myself a Howa .223 with. 1-12 twist rate and will be loading hornady v-max 55 grainers,I have FLR all of my brass to a uniformed length of 1.750 and will be using AR-2206H your equivalent of H4895 I believe,the ADI website suggests a min of 25grains starting and a max of 26 not compressed,I have already started development in increments of .2 at a time and started with 25.2 and a seating depth of 2.260 which fits perfectly in my magazine box....now the concern that I have is after I have filled the cartridge with powder and have seated the bullet I can not hear any powder movement at all when I shake the round up and down and am getting worried in increasing my loads to the max stated of 26gr.......is this normal or what.....just to mention I have the rcbs chargemaster and no it's dead on nuts accurate...if someone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated as I am a little hesitant to continue....cheers

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 901 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Quote:
.now the concern that I have is after I have filled the cartridge with powder and have seated the bullet I can not hear any powder movement at all when I shake the round up and down and am getting worried in increasing my loads to the max stated of 26gr.......is this normal or what.
Yes, it's normal with many powders and powder types. Compressing powder and packing it tight in the case is also normal and accepted as safe as long as there is data to support the charge.

I prefer my rifle loads to be compressed and some are so heavily compressed that I have to re-seat the bullets after they sit for awhile as they start to creep out.

If compressing powders was dangerous or altered the burn rate then Hodgdon and others would not list the charge and would also list warning against compressing.

Carry on, you are doing fine. And when you get up towards the max of 26gr you might even hear a little crunching of the powder when seating the bullet, don't be alarmed, it's normal.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

Thanks mseric your a good man...I would like to reconfirm with you the powder charge I'm using if I may,which for the ADI website states min 25 and max 26 as I have seen different charges for the same powder using same bullets.....your equivalent as mentioned before is H4895...could you get back to me just so I can be on the safe side.....once again thanks...cheers

Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 901 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouva1 View Post
Thanks mseric your a good man...I would like to reconfirm with you the powder charge I'm using if I may,which for the ADI website states min 25 and max 26 as I have seen different charges for the same powder using same bullets.....your equivalent as mentioned before is H4895...could you get back to me just so I can be on the safe side.....once again thanks...cheers
Hodgdon data matches ADI with 25-26gr H-4895 for 55gr Bullets.

Speer #13 lists 23.5-25.5gr Compressed with 55gr bullets.

Sierra #5 lists 23.1-26.1gr with 55gr bullets.

All pretty consistent, your data is solid.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

Thanks mate......have a beer on me.....cheers

Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Yep, as the others have said, its normal. I always get nervous when my 30.06 loads 220 grains are squishing down the powder and you can hear it as I work the press.

If you use the recommended powders and loads for a rifle, its very hard to have a super dangerous hot load. It is more dangerous when you go well below the recomended minimum powder charge. Then you can end up with not enough pressure to push the bullet out the barrel, making the bullet get stuck, and all that pressure will blow backwards towards the bolt.

More powder than required generally just burns out the muzzle and makes your gun look like the USS Missouri's 16 inch guns

But still follow the guidelines between min and max powder levels and you will be fine

Old 10-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Yep, as the others have said, its normal. I always get nervous when my 30.06 loads 220 grains are squishing down the powder and you can hear it as I work the press.

If you use the recommended powders and loads for a rifle, its very hard to have a super dangerous hot load. It is more dangerous when you go well below the recomended minimum powder charge. Then you can end up with not enough pressure to push the bullet out the barrel, making the bullet get stuck, and all that pressure will blow backwards towards the bolt.

More powder than required generally just burns out the muzzle and makes your gun look like the USS Missouri's 16 inch guns

But still follow the guidelines between min and max powder levels and you will be fine
Thanks for the heads up Annn appreciate it....cheers

Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

You are very welcome. And just remember, for pistols and reloading the opposite is true. Overloading a pistol cartridge can be more dangerous than under loading it. (although if you under loaded a pistol cartridge, the bullet could get stuck in the barrel, and then if you fired a second round without checking your gun and clearing your barrel, then you could have a serious injury as well)

Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #9

Liked 380 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Overloading or underloading any firearm is just asking for trouble no matter what.

In my son's Stevens .223 with a 1:9 twist he uses a 55gn Vmax in front of 25gns of BM2(Benchrest) and this gives him around 1/2" groups at 100yds and it's just nasty on fox's heads.

I generally look at a bit of reloading info on a particular calibre that is new to me and load about 1-2 gns under maximum and work up from there until I hit a point where there's good accuracy and no pressure signs and leave things alone after that.
Try and get hold of some different weight and brand pills as guns like women can be very fussy about what they like.
It seems that the 55gn weight pills seem to perform best in the .223 but try 50gn and 60gn pills to see what happens.

Becoming velocity happy with no real advantage gained in accuracy is a waste of time,powder and is a barrel burner and critters don't really care if they've been hit at 3500fps or 4200fps dead is dead.

Be happy that you can get 1/2" groups or better at 100 or 200yds and that your mate with the new whizz bang varminter that shoots 35gn pills at 4200fps but can't get a decent group and is trying to break the light speed record loading up to the hilt is never going to be happy.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence