Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 223 for coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 223 for coyotes

Trying to get some feed back on what you guys have had luck with as a load for large varmints like coyotes, I've got some 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips and my guns got a 16" 1 and 9 twist bull barrel, just trying to find a good place to start.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

They should work just fine. I've taken a few using the 55 gn Hornady TAP rounds as well as 55 gn Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips. I killed a couple with a .22 WMR before, but like the extra power of the .223.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

just about any bullet from an ar will tip em over just fine. ive mostly just used 55grn fmj. any of the ballistic tip stuff works very well too ive seen little diff in success rates pretty much 100% so i just use whatever is in the mag.

before i had an AR15 i usd to use a 10/22 with pretty much 100% success rate one shot stop. both on wild dog packs and yotes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #4

My Savage model 12, 1 in 9", has been liking Sierra 69 gr. Matchkings with 23.0 gr. of Ramshot X-Terminator powder.
Haven't shot a coyote yet with the load, but it works well at the range, and explodes prairie dogs quite nicely!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 06-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

They should work fine. In my ARs and my Savage Predator rifle I use 55 Gr. Hornady V-Max and they are close to the same as your round. They work fine on coyotes. In fact I also shoot a 95 gr. Hornady V-max in my 6.5 Grendel. It will literally turn a prairie dog inside out at 400 yards. Your round will be fine!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #6

So I loaded up about 50 rounds with 24 gr. of Varget and went out today to try them through my Oly K16-sst. They grouped great, most of the holes touching shot about 20 rounds, found a coon trying to steal some corn lets just say he wont be doing that any more. The only thing that I noticed is that when I left a round in the chamber after I would shoot a group the case seemed to have what looks like a sort of burnt residue on it, the emptys didnt have this it was only the complete rounds that where in the chamber after I would shoot a group. Also when I ran a patch down the barrel the first time after getting back there was some small brass slivers on it. Never noticed these things before just wondering if it had anything to do with these reloaded rounds? Might be looking to far into this but I would like to see if any of you guys thought that there could be a problem.

Last edited by Mossyoakman3006; 06-07-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
So I loaded up about 50 rounds with 24 gr. of Varget and went out today to try them through my Oly K16-sst. They grouped great, most of the holes touching shot about 20 rounds, found a coon trying to steal some corn lets just say he wont be doing that any more. The only thing that I noticed is that when I left a round in the chamber after I would shoot a group the case seemed to have what looks like a sort of burnt residue on it, the emptys didnt have this it was only the complete rounds that where in the chamber after I would shoot a group. Also when I ran a patch down the barrel the first time after getting back there was some small brass slivers on it. Never noticed these things before just wondering if it had anything to do with these reloaded rounds? Might be looking to far into this but I would like to see if any of you guys thought that there could be a problem.
I believe you'll find those small slivers of brass in the chamber after just about every shooting session. I know I've noticed the same thing a fair amount. The rifle still functions and is as accurate as ever, so I don't give them a second thought anymore. You may have been a little more observant after shooting your new load.

In regards to the burnt powder residue on the cases of the newly chambered rounds after you've just fired a magazine as opposed to those that have not been in the chamber that long, that's normal in my experience regardless of whether I'm shooting factory ammo or reloads.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've killed coyotes (and maurading deer in the garden) with a .22 Long Rifle in the past.
So I sure don't see any reason your .223 shouldn't get the job done.
Accuracy is the key.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #9

Just thought I would run this by you guy to see if my thinking is correct. I took my first batch of rounds out to the range. I am shooting a Oly arms K16-SST with a 16" bull barrel. I loaded 55gr. Nosler ballistic tips on top of 24 gr. of Varget powder and CCI primers. So at 100 yards these rounds group very well however at 200 they seem to drop almost 6 inches which doesn't seem right compared to the ballistic tables that I have seen. Also I noticed that it seems that the case are unusually hot when they come out of the chamber, much hotter than with factory rounds. I dont see any indicators of excessive pressure. So my thinking is that Varget powder is a slower burning powder from what I have read, and I might not be getting a complete powder burn and lossing velocity since my barrel is carbine length, this may be causing the excessive drop. What do you guys think, and any ideas on a different powder would be great. Thanks

Old 06-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

depends on what barrel length the test loads were fired in. mileage varies in reloading. published performance is merely a rough guideline. varget is generally not a terribly good 556 powder. just my opinion. im sure some folks do fine with it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...