Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 223 case mouth rolls when seating projectile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 223 case mouth rolls when seating projectile

Hey all,

I have a Dillon 550 and am using carbide 223 dies to reload. Every once in awile, at least twice in 20 rounds, as I seat a projectile the case mouth rolls inward on one side of the case mouth as the projectile seats. I think I know why, the projectile is not held in a striaght up and down position as it enters the die and therefore it at a slight angle as it runs up and into the seating portion of the die. Sound about right?

Now, you can't hold the projectile once it enters the seating die so once it is inside the bottom of the die it is...out of your hands so to speak. The projectiles are being seated to the proper length. I set them to an OAL of about 2.050. That works well in my AR. Does anyone have a fix or do I just go ahead and run it through the crimp die and hope it stripes that small roll of brass off and trim the case when it comes through to be reloaded again?

I would rather be able to fix the roll in the first place but moving the die up or down is pointless since the initial opening of the die must accomodate the case all the way down to the...well almost all the way down to the extractor groove. Hopefully someone else has this problem and can help.

Thanks All

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Are you chamfering the case mouths after trimming? Do you have any pics? I am having a hard time visualizing this. It is just on one side, correct? Are you using a flat base or boat tail bullet?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Sounds like the case mouth isn't being properly resized. Perhaps too small. Are you trimming the cases to length?

I have also never seen carbide bottleneck case dies.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Dillon makes carbide dies in .223 and .308. Yes, very expensive.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

$125+ for them dies. MY GOD and they don't do anything other than last a bit longer. My god how long do they need to last? I was reloading on dies that were 40 or 50 years old when I was a kid.

I believe you are either not expanding the case mouth enough or your not chamfering your case mouth and deburing it. Your also yankin that handle to fast I bet.

I prefer the Hornaday dies myself. as they have a sliding seating that aligns the bullet and case-mouth very well before seating begins.

Also I do believe that Dillon has a spot on the powder drop that flares the case mouth slightly this may only be with straight wall pistols and rifle cartridges.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #6

Yeah, the carbide dies are a bit spendy but since I had a few extra bucks, I put up the extra for carbide.

No, I was not chamfering the casings. I didn't think about it since I was using brand new casings. Guess I should have thought about that though. Thanks.

I can't get a picture of it. I don't have the means. But, it is only on one side and it only affects about 1/4 or less of the mouth just slightly rolls inward. I tried running a few of those rounds through the crimp die and it shaved off the excess rolled over brass but you could see a small "U" radius right where the case had folded over. I didn't care for that so they are coming apart.

I can see about the sizing part but it is just slightly larger than the projo. I think it sizes to about .225 or .226

I checked lengths and they are good. I had to resize some of my used brass but the new stuff was good to go. I have measured everything again and the dies and brass are within tolerance and the finished length is good. I will chamfer and let you know.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree that chamfering your cases should be first priority but I think I would remove the seating stem from the die and run a few empty cases through it and see what happens. Maybe the neck is catching on a sharp edge or burr inside the die?

Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht.
Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, so nennt sie jeder selbstverständlich.
-- Wilhelm Busch

Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #8

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Chamfer your cases and set your expander down a half a turn or so and get a wee bit more bell on the case mouth. On your 4 die block it is your 2nd die, under your powder measure. Turn it down just a wee bit so that the base of your bullet will just start to go in. Your 3rd die seats the bullet and the 4th die will crimp it if you are crimping.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #9

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Are you lubing any of the cases?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #10

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I forgot to say I also use a neck brush and roll it on the lube pad and lube my case necks.