223 c.o.a.l.????
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

223 c.o.a.l.????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 223 c.o.a.l.????

Hi all this is my first post so be easy on me. Just started reloading again after three years of buying ammo.

I am loading for Rem 223 using Sierra #1355 FMJBT & Rem Brass. The Sierra loading data book calls for the brass Trim to Length to be 1.750 & the C.O.A.L. to be 2.250 but if I size down to the cannelures the C.O.A.L. is 2.225. Am I reading this wrong or what?

I just don't know what I am doing or reading wrong.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I am loading for an AR15.

SSGCharlie

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1435 Times on 777 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGCharlie View Post
Hi all this is my first post so be easy on me. Just started reloading again after three years of buying ammo.

I am loading for Rem 223 using Sierra #1355 FMJBT & Rem Brass. The Sierra loading data book calls for the brass Trim to Length to be 1.750 & the C.O.A.L. to be 2.250 but if I size down to the cannelures the C.O.A.L. is 2.225. Am I reading this wrong or what?

I just don't know what I am doing or reading wrong.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I am loading for an AR15.

SSGCharlie
What is your case length, how did you trim it and how are you measuring it?

If you case length is accurate (1.750) and you wish to seat to Mid Cannelure, then seat to mid cannelure and forget what the final measurement is.

If you are not going to crimp into the cannelure then you can ignore the cannelure completely and seat your bullets to whatever you wish. As long as they 1) fit the mag, 2) feed and fire, 3) have enough bullet seated into the neck for adequate neck tension.

Personally, I never, look at the OAL,COAL listed in manuals, ever. I seat to what work for me and my firearms.

If 2.225 is what gets you to mid cannelure, then 2.225 it is.

http://www.goal.org/newspages/romney.html
locutus Likes This 
Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #3

Thank you I just don't want it to blow up in my face

Old 07-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Thank you I just don't want it to blow up in my face
Adjusting OAL in a Bottle necked rifle round like the 223 will not cause a "safe" load to become a "blow up your face" load.

OAL is not that critical and pressures are not affected enough to be overly concerned.

Unless you are loading up close and personal to the lands.

Last edited by mseric; 07-29-2015 at 12:36 AM.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:01 AM   #5

Default 223 c.o.a.l.????

mseric, I forgot to answer your questions sorry.

Trim with a Dillon RT1200 mounted on a RCII press and i use a Areospace dig. mic. I got from dillon.

I trim to 1.750 per Sierra spec's.

Maybe next time I should trim to 1.760?

Thanks,
SSGCharlie http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

1.760 is max length.

If you trim to that length you will have to trim every time you fire and size it.

1.750 gives you some room so you can fire and size a few times without trimming each and every time.

locutus Likes This 
Old 07-30-2015, 04:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8198 Times on 4479 Posts
Likes Given: 7976

If there's a cannalure, no need to measure at all.

If you have a factory round of the same brand and bullet weight and dseign, just set your seating stem with the factory round

Old 07-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #8

Liked 1321 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 636

SSGCharlie,With most AR15 magazines you are limited to an COAL of 2.260". Always trim your cases to the trim length of 1.750",and trim them again when they reach 1.760" or longer.
The cannelure on a bullet is just for crimping your bullets,it has no other purpose. I don't crimp my rifle bullets,but I set my dies up to have .003" neck tension on the bullet so it is held in place well.
It's a good idea to measure the chamber of your rifle for each bullet that you are shooting to find out just what the measurement is to the rifling lands. You will be able to fine tune your loads that way,and get better results from your handloads with most bullets. But,on an AR15 style rifle,you will still be limited by the inside length of the magazine in order to load the rounds into it.

Hornady makes a simple tool for this-

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/570611/hornady-lock-n-load-overall-length-gage-bolt-action?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290405/hornady-lock-n-load-overall-length-gage-modified-case-223-remington?cm_vc=sugv290405
North American Hunting Club

Old 07-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info. this is a great forum

SSGCharlie

Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. this is a great forum

SSGCharlie
I started reloading not all that long ago and I remember not knowing what specs were important for me and which weren't. With little or no experience, I was reluctant to violate any of the specs.

As it turns out the published COAL numbers have to do with meeting an industry standard so that the cartridge will fit into most any magazine and feed properly in most any rifle.

So, if you're loading for an AR, you need to stick pretty close to those specifications.

I shoot a .223 bolt gun and chamber one round at a time. So, in an attempt to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of every aspect of hand loading, I seat my bullets close to the rifling. That means my rounds are seated MUCH longer than yours and they don't come close to meeting the standard COAL specs. They won't fit in any magazine. In fact, I can't remember the last time I measured COAL. I use CBTO (cartridge base to ogive) as a better measure of length, for my purposes anyway.

Bottom line: You're doing the right thing in asking about reloading. This hobby is filled with mysteries and it also has the potential to be dangerous if you don't follow certain rules. And it's not always intuitive when you're trying to find out about the rules. Learning about those rules, and learning about the relative importance of guidelines, is important. Keep asking questions.

Newest Threads