Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 223 Brass Neck Oversizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default 223 Brass Neck Oversizing

Has anyone ever had this re-loading issue: I was reloading some Remington .223's and I had the round drop all the way through the neck and into the body of the case. I thought it was an anomally, but then it happened several more times. During prep I cleaned, de-capped, and fully sized the cases. Then I trimmed and camphered each case. It just seems as if the diameter of the case necks are too large.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Over worked necks. The brass work hardens and loses some of its springiness. Aneal the brass necks to return them to their proper consistency. I aneal everything larger than .223. .223 is kind of short and a bit difficult to do w/o special equipment. Because .223 brass is so plentiful, I consider work hardened brass in this caliber to be disposible.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Likes Given: 4

Thanks. I agree, .223 is plentiful and thats too much work for that much brass.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #4

If you buy quality Manufactured brass you should get more life out of the neck. Factory loads don't go through the annealing process like remanufactured...

Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceroch View Post
If you buy quality Manufactured brass you should get more life out of the neck. Factory loads don't go through the annealing process like remanufactured...
absolutely untrue. After the drawing process, the brass is anealed. ALL new bottleneck brass is anealed. It is throroughly polished before loading. Military brass has the anealing discoloration left alone because apearence is not a factor.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball