.223 blew up - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 blew up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
He shot a full 20 rd clip and on the second one it did it. No rapid fire. We were sighting in his red dot so the shots were spaced quite a bit.

For those reloaders do you have a personal maximum reload time on brass?
In spite of what is often published on the internet, I don't go much past 12 to 15 times with any cartridge case. (And I know every trick in the book for checking brass out, too!) Just hasn't been worth it to me.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2240 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
For me - after extensive testing and MANY case seperations, I refuse to reload any LARGE RIFLE .308/30-06 more than 3 times. .223 I will go 4 times, but no more. Also case inspections are made all of the time

+1

All my cases are trimmed at the first re-loading and are not re-loaded over 3 times. Am lucky to be able to get an umlimited supply of once fired cases from a shooting range. I not push it.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #23

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Are you full length resizing only? I have never had a case separation in 15 years of reloading for 9 different calibers. I also don't reload for maximum velocity, rather I am concerned primarily with accuracy, which is almost always a lower velocity loading. For my bolt action rifles and lever guns I never full length resize either. This greatly increases case life.
For bolt rifles, case separations usually don't occur, but in Semi and Full auto rifles, the opportunity for a case separation is much higher due to rate of fire and lessor tolerances in the chamber. I reload all of my rounds to Military spec's. This is usually at the powders maximum load.

After reloading 30-06 for my ANM2 (with a rate of fire of 1300rpm), and with brass that was loaded 4 times, I would get 1 case separation out of every 75-100 rounds. This results in 13 seconds of trigger time.

Since limiting my brass to no more than 3 reloads, I haven't had a case separation in a long time.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
For bolt rifles, case separations usually don't occur, but in Semi and Full auto rifles, the opportunity for a case separation is much higher due to rate of fire and lessor tolerances in the chamber. I reload all of my rounds to Military spec's. This is usually at the powders maximum load.

After reloading 30-06 for my ANM2 (with a rate of fire of 1300rpm), and with brass that was loaded 4 times, I would get 1 case separation out of every 75-100 rounds. This results in 13 seconds of trigger time.

Since limiting my brass to no more than 3 reloads, I haven't had a case separation in a long time.
I guess if you're shooting in FA mode your situation is a bit different! Now I see why you've experienced so many separations. I'm not familiar with FA, but I assume you need max pressure for consistent cycling? My milsurp guns are old and that's why I don't load to capacity, that and accuracy tends to fall off with max loads. I also don't reload too many military cases - the older manufacture ones tend to be brittle due to primer and powder chemical compositions from decades past. I've had too many split cases from old imported brass even before reloading. With new manufacture Rem. brass I can get at least 5 reloads from every cartridge I reload for,and sometimes more depending on the caliber.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #25

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I guess if you're shooting in FA mode your situation is a bit different! Now I see why you've experienced so many separations. I'm not familiar with FA, but I assume you need max pressure for consistent cycling? My milsurp guns are old and that's why I don't load to capacity, that and accuracy tends to fall off with max loads. I also don't reload too many military cases - the older manufacture ones tend to be brittle due to primer and powder chemical compositions from decades past. I've had too many split cases from old imported brass even before reloading. With new manufacture Rem. brass I can get at least 5 reloads from every cartridge I reload for,and sometimes more depending on the caliber.

Having enough pressure is important. Since the weapon cycles based on the previous round. I usally load at least one or two grains below the military spec. I really don't like to beat them ( the weapons ) to death because of full loads.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2953 Times on 1539 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I have seen Ultra max ammo blow up several AR's at the PD range. Investigation revealed two culprits. 1- hot load, about 1 grain over max. 2- untrimmed case. Overlength case forced into throat of barrel causing bullet to be held in place longer (milliseconds) than normal and peaking pressures out.

Pull down some of the remaining rounds. A military case should have less than 25 grains of spherical powder (W-748 or BLC-2). Check length of the cases. Military cases start off long and stretch when fired through a MG like the M-249. Resizing only makes a bad situation worse.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ultra Max in my experience is poorly manufactured innaccurate crap. Any ammo that comes packaged in a bulk plastic bag IMO is only good for making noise - not accurate hits on target. I bought a 100 rd. .40 cal box of that junk and it was terrible. The brass looked like left overs from the range.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Is it possible for his particular rifle to fire out of battery?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2953 Times on 1539 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Most quality weapons will not fire out of battery. The most likely culprit is the ammo. If the brass was faulty or loaded too many times, it could cause the case to fail. I do not worry about how many times a case has been loaded as I tend to lose them in the grass b4 they get too "old".