.223 blew up - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 blew up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

A 6" piece of wire coathanger works even better. Make a sharp diagonal tip on the right-angled end to act as a, 'pick' that will catch onto any imperfection on the case's interior wall.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That is certainly a good identifier of impending case separation, One thing is certain, I wouldn't fire any more of that ammo without checking it real close. And if it is found to be due to too many reloadings I would pay the person a visit who sold it to me! Due to liability I would never even give anyone my reloads much less sell them. Too many factors come into play, not the least of which is the condition of the firearm. I have had bad luck even with commercially reloaded ammo like Ultramax. My face, hands, and guns just aren't worth the savings!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

He shot a full 20 rd clip and on the second one it did it. No rapid fire. We were sighting in his red dot so the shots were spaced quite a bit.

For those reloaders do you have a personal maximum reload time on brass?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #14

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

4 to 5 times max for my brass then I will see how it looks. It all depends on how hot you load them. Running max loads all the time will shorten the life span of your brass. I got a bunch of 223 rem I need to annel in the comming days for other reasons.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
He shot a full 20 rd clip and on the second one it did it. No rapid fire. We were sighting in his red dot so the shots were spaced quite a bit.

For those reloaders do you have a personal maximum reload time on brass?
Depends on several factors. Assuming you reload to specs listed in the various powder manufacturers data manuals, you should get at least 5 safe reloads from a .223. Inspect the brass and check case length with a trimmer after every 2nd reload. If your using Lake City or brass from any military supplier it should last longer because military brass is generally thicker-walled, that's why the max load listed for commercial brass will be a compressed load in military brass - less volume due to thicker brass. Some mild calibers like the 30-30 I have reloaded 6-8 times, other's like the .308 no more than 5. This does not mean they do not need to be resized - they do. The .223 is a high power, high pressure load and won't go beyond 5 or 6 at maximum loads. Bright ring forming at the base of the case generally indicates case head separation, but don't confuse that with the marks left by the resizing die.
If in doubt - throw it out.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-27-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #16

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For me - after extensive testing and MANY case seperations, I refuse to reload any LARGE RIFLE .308/30-06 more than 3 times. .223 I will go 4 times, but no more. Also case inspections are made all of the time.

Pistol -.45 cal - 5 times, 44mag - 5 times, .40S&W - 5 times. 9mm - Haven't hit a limit yet.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
For me - after extensive testing and MANY case seperations, I refuse to reload any LARGE RIFLE .308/30-06 more than 3 times.

Are you full length resizing only? I have never had a case separation in 15 years of reloading for 9 different calibers. I also don't reload for maximum velocity, rather I am concerned primarily with accuracy, which is almost always a lower velocity loading. For my bolt action rifles and lever guns I never full length resize either. This greatly increases case life.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-27-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #18

i hate reloads. not a big fan of them. you have less chance of a stovepipe from quality factory ammo. why risk your fingers for a few bucks..

Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwhip23 View Post
i hate reloads. not a big fan of them. you have less chance of a stovepipe from quality factory ammo. why risk your fingers for a few bucks..
"Stovepipes" are not a function of reload vs. factory. They are jams which are usually caused by ammo not feeding properly due to bullet head configuration, magazine, or feed-ramp problems. Some handguns only feed FMJ's or round nose style bullets reliably. Certain bullet styles (truncated cone H.P's in particular) may hang up on the feed ramp. This is why it's imperative to test various types of ammo in your auto before loading up and heading out! Properly hand-reloaded ammo can be more accurate than factory ammo, and much cheaper. Commercial reloads are another story.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-28-2008 at 12:25 AM.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:05 AM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
"Stovepipes" are not a function of reload vs. factory. They are jams which are usually caused by ammo not feeding properly due to bullet head configuration, magazine, or feed-ramp problems. Some handguns only feed FMJ's or round nose style bullets reliably. Certain bullet styles (truncated cone H.P's in particular) may hang up on the feed ramp. This is why it's imperative to test various types of ammo in your auto before loading up and heading out! Properly hand-reloaded ammo can be more accurate than factory ammo, and much cheaper. Commercial reloads are another story.
....Which is one of the reasons quality gunsmiths have been making money with "polished" feed ramps. The smoother the surface, the less chance of a hang up

JD