Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 blank questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Default .223 blank questions?

My son called me this morning and said that he had acquired a couple of cases of 5.56 mm (.223) military blanks that he wants to give me. Here are the questions:
1. Is there anything corrosive in the case or the primer and if so, what would I clean the bore with so that it would not be affected?
2. Are the cases reloadable?
3. Are they berdan primed or are the primers crimped?
They are not very old (10 years or so)
cottontop

Last edited by cottontop; 01-01-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

actual military issue from US surplus is not corrosive just dirty as hell. you can reload them as blanks but not live cartridges. you will need a blank crimp die. most are crimped primers.

if you do shoot them off (its a LOT of fun) just dont shoot live ammo right afterwards without cleaning. blanks can increase pressure of live rounds to unsafe levels due to the extreme fouling.

cleaning you can just use clp nothing special needed since it is just burnt residue.

you will need a standard A1 or A2 flashider to attach the blank adaptor. without an adaptor it wont cycle the rifle.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7564 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Also, please remember that blank does not mean harmless. The military blank firing attachment serves to partially diffuse the jet of gasses that come out of the barrel. There HAVE been many cases of folks hurt or killed by blanks at point blank range.

And as the guy up there just said, they can be reloaded as blanks- but the case shape does not permit their being loaded as ball ammo.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.