Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #1

Default .223 ammo

I have ordered a .223, mostly for target shooting and may take out a few crows w/ it. I am planning to reload for it. I have found several sites that offer military surplus .223 ammo for pretty good prices in bulk. My question is how easy or difficult are the primers to remove? Are they crimped in, and if so, how does one remove the crimps and thus punch the primers out?
cottontop

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

They are removed the same way.. They might be a little more difficult to remove.. Just make sure you remove the crimp before you put the new primer in.. (They make a military crimp removal tool or you can swege the primer pocket, there is a tool for that too!)

Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #3

I looked up the crimp removal tool. It looks to me that the primer is punched out first w/ the resizing die and the crimp that is left is removed from the primer pocket outside the case. If that is the case, why can't one use a dremel moto w/ a small flush cutting bit to remove the left over crimp?
cottontop

Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I looked up the crimp removal tool. It looks to me that the primer is punched out first w/ the resizing die and the crimp that is left is removed from the primer pocket outside the case. If that is the case, why can't one use a dremel moto w/ a small flush cutting bit to remove the left over crimp?
cottontop
I suppose you could, but if you remove too much material, your primers wont fit tight.. The tool shouldnt cost much, I think I spent $10.00 for my Lyman one... It makes it quick and easy..

Old 12-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #5

Default crimp removal tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I suppose you could, but if you remove too much material, your primers wont fit tight.. The tool shouldnt cost much, I think I spent $10.00 for my Lyman one... It makes it quick and easy..

Trez,
I think you are right. I never thought of that.
cottontop