Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .223

My question is if I have 5.56 casings can I reload them to shoot in a .223 if I put the .223 load data in. I know you can't shoot factory 5.56 out of a .223 but had no clue about the reloading of them??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

I would say so, just do not get your ammo confused with the head stamps.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman82 View Post
My question is if I have 5.56 casings can I reload them to shoot in a .223 if I put the .223 load data in. I know you can't shoot factory 5.56 out of a .223 but had no clue about the reloading of them??
As far as I know you can. I have not been reloading for very long but I have been loading Hornady .224 60 gr. V-Max's in once fired Lake City Brass with no issues. The Lake City brass is 5.56 military casings. They shoot great out of my battle stick, so I don't think you will have any problems so long as you are using .223 load data.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok that's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post

As far as I know you can. I have not been reloading for very long but I have been loading Hornady .224 60 gr. V-Max's in once fired Lake City Brass with no issues. The Lake City brass is 5.56 military casings. They shoot great out of my battle stick, so I don't think you will have any problems so long as you are using .223 load data.
Texasgunner what do you do for priming? Do you have to swage the casing?

Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymaro

Texasgunner what do you do for priming? Do you have to swage the casing?
The Lake City brass that I am using is already cleaned, processed and re-primed. I acquired 2,000 rounds of this stuff from TopBrass. Very very nice stuff.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post

The Lake City brass that I am using is already cleaned, processed and re-primed. I acquired 2,000 rounds of this stuff from TopBrass. Very very nice stuff.
Oh i got about a 1000 spent xm193 thats all crimped primers

Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

The dies are for .223. You can use 5.56 cases. The main issue I have found is length. 5.56 cases generally start off a bit longer than .223 and firing in a sloppy chamber (high round count machinegun) will stretch the case. You MUST check length and trim before loading. An over length case will cause major pressure issues.

Removing the primer crimp is easy with a swaging die. You can use a chamfer tool, but I do not like to remove metal from the vital base area.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2738 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1392

Not without modifying the cases as mentioned above. 5.56 ammunition should never be fired in a "true" 223 Chamber. The lead in the chamber is longer on the 5.56. and the 223 Chamber has a shorter lead. And also military ammunition has a higher chamber pressure. However the 223 Remington Cal. ammunition can be fired in the 5.56 chamber with no problem.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I do not see trimming as "modifying". Nearly all bottleneck rifle cases must be trimmed after the first time they are fired. 5.56 is no different.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball