.223/5.56 reloading question - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223/5.56 reloading question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1093 Times on 566 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
This says nothing about burn rates and the % of powder burned from a specific powder, the article speaks in general terms. It's an interesting article but barrel length and powder do make a difference otherwise they would not publish so many manuals and load recipes. Nosler manuals will list most accurate powder for bullet weight and specific barrel length, water weight of the case capacity, COL.
Barrel length does make a difference in velocity, not the amount of powder burned as all the powder is burned up in the first few inches of the bore regardless of barrel length.

You are correct Nosler does list those items. As to the different barrels, take a look at the Twist rate. Nosler used a 24 inch Lija with 1-12 twist with bullet weights from 34gr up to 55gr. For heavier bullets from 60-80gr the used a 20 inch Pac-Nor 1-7 twist. Lyman 48 also used two different barrels a 1-12 twist for lighter bullets and a 1-7 twist for bullets 69gr,77gr,80gr.
Looking at Nosler's data I could not find any correlation to "most Accurate" load tested and burn rate. Some bullets tested liked fast powders, some like Mid range burners and some like slow burners all out of the same test barrel.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here is a little test done on the effects of barrel length and velocity. They started with a 22 inch barrel and cut it down one inch at a time all the way to 10 inches.

At the start with 22 inch barrel the slowest powder N-135 generated the highest velocity of 3336fps, H-322 was next with 3318fps and fastest powder H-4198 came in last at 3199fps.

At 22 inches the velocity spread from fastest powder to slowest powder was 137fps, advantage slowest powder.

At 10 inches the velocity spread from fastest powder to slowest powder was 125fps, again advantage slowest powder.

At no time during this test was there any indication that a faster powder will produce better burn results than a slow powder in shorter barrels.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #23

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Here is a little test done on the effects of barrel length and velocity. They started with a 22 inch barrel and cut it down one inch at a time all the way to 10 inches.

At the start with 22 inch barrel the slowest powder N-135 generated the highest velocity of 3336fps, H-322 was next with 3318fps and fastest powder H-4198 came in last at 3199fps.

At 22 inches the velocity spread from fastest powder to slowest powder was 137fps, advantage slowest powder.

At 10 inches the velocity spread from fastest powder to slowest powder was 125fps, again advantage slowest powder.

At no time during this test was there any indication that a faster powder will produce better burn results than a slow powder in shorter barrels.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html
Below 16 inches you are dealing with pistol barrel lengths and would need to formulate your loads accordingly say loadings for TC Contender to maximize the best velocity with barrel length you would look at slower pistol powders or shotgun powders. I have seen this link but it reaches the effective limits of the rifle powders and data that supports 18-24" barrels. With this information it shows that these powders have a common burning rates when getting down to 10" length but will differ in velocity out of the 24" barrels. If the common barrels were short 10-16", the industry would use different powders for better burn rates and velocities to reach max effectiveness. Current data is for max effective barrels 18-24", service rifle data is provided with 16-20" in some manuals. I think I have a Hornady manual that list T/C Contender for 223 pistol separately from 223 rifle.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Below 16 inches you are dealing with pistol barrel lengths and would need to formulate your loads accordingly say loadings for TC Contender to maximize the best velocity with barrel length you would look at slower pistol powders or shotgun powders. I have seen this link but it reaches the effective limits of the rifle powders and data that supports 18-24" barrels. With this information it shows that these powders have a common burning rates when getting down to 10" length but will differ in velocity out of the 24" barrels. If the common barrels were short 10-16", the industry would use different powders for better burn rates and velocities to reach max effectiveness. Current data is for max effective barrels 18-24", service rifle data is provided with 16-20" in some manuals. I think I have a Hornady manual that list T/C Contender for 223 pistol separately from 223 rifle.

There is load data available specific to the Thompson single shot pistol. Both Lyman and Sierra used a 14 inch barrel in their testing. Neither one of them use Pistol Powders or Shotgun powders. They both used the same rifle powders for the Thompson as they did with their AR barrels.

Both Lyman and Sierra data shows that the powders that produced the highest velocity in a Long barrel also produced the highest velocity in the Thompson short barrel.

Here is Sierra's data. Note the powder charges are also almost identical to each other. There isn't much difference between the short Thompson barrel compared to the AR barrel except for the reduced velocity.

You can also go tho Hodgdon's On-line data and check out their 223 Pistol Data. It also shows the same powders used for short pistol barrels was used in longer rifle barrels. You will also note that the powder that produced the highest velocity(55gr bullet) in both rifle and pistol was Varget. Varget was also the Slowest powder tested.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load_print.asp?printnow=1

Last edited by mseric; 06-29-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #25

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Hogdon does list shotgun/pistol reduced loads. Varget is a unique powder, 27 gr is compressed load. It builds 49K pressure but 21 gr H4198 builds the same amount of pressure. I can shoot Varget accurately out of a bolt but not my semi auto. That was why I stated in my previous post about getting better accuracy out of faster powders, not getting faster velocity from fast powders.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Hogdon does list shotgun/pistol reduced loads..
Yes they do. Trail Boss, Titegroup and Clays with 55gr FMJ using a 24 inch barrel, not a reduced load to accommodate a SSP barrel.