.223/5.56 question - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223/5.56 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Camo,

My only thought is the non-uniformity of the brass removed with the tool and primer pocket contact area. As it seems from the pictures they are not uniform on the crimped area removed. Some could be easier to load but also possibly not standardized required support for the primer when fired in the pocket? Only a thought! And a primer crimp tool is not expensive and has a pilot to keep it true centered while removing the crimp and removes the same amount of material every time.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #22

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Camo, My only thought is the non-uniformity of the brass removed with the tool and primer pocket contact area. As it seems from the pictures they are not uniform on the crimped area removed. Some could be easier to load but also possibly not standardized required support for the primer when fired in the pocket? Only a thought! And a primer crimp tool is not expensive and has a pilot to keep it true centered while removing the crimp and removes the same amount of material every time. 03
I see what you are saying about uniformity. The only other concern I had was whether less contact surface between the primer and pocket would cause blown primers. I'll look into adding a swager to the bench.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2863 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 254

For low pressure stuff like handgun brass, I normally cut the crimp w/the deburring tool. I do not like to remove metal from the critical case head area on high pressure ammo like .223. Will it cause problems? Maybe not, I would just prefer to not risk it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Myself I've always used a RCBS swage tool.. Then I went hog wild on brass collecting and bought the Dillon Super Swage...

Become steel or get cut.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on the RCBS swage tool to remove the crimp.
It's some effort to work it, but a lot faster than using teh deburring tool>

I just realized I should prolly be lubricating the primer pocket/ tool for less effort in the future..... Duh.