.223/5.56 question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223/5.56 question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Anna_Purna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,236
Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Default

Nope, they are good to go then

I pick up range brass when I am out in the middle of knowhere were we shoot at, and sometimes there is Berdan brass mixed in. Yours are ready to trim, if needed, and load away.
Anna_Purna is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,174
Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
Nope, they are good to go then

I pick up range brass when I am out in the middle of knowhere were we shoot at, and sometimes there is Berdan brass mixed in. Yours are ready to trim, if needed, and load away.
Sweet! I need a powder throw, bullets, primers, powder and a shell holder for the case trimmer then I'm ready to rock!!
__________________
Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand
longunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,688
Liked 2451 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
If it has the 2 holes, you wont be able to reload them. They are of Russian?? Design.
Just for trivia/enlightenment sake. Berdan priming system was developed by Hiram Berdan from New York.
SSGN_Doc is online now  
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,171
Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Just for trivia/enlightenment sake. Berdan priming system was developed by Hiram Berdan from New York.
And Boxer was developed in Europe. Edward Mounier Boxer, of the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, England
__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 10-28-2013 at 08:07 PM.
jpattersonnh is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,761
Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Default

Back-up and take a look at the primer pockets. Are they crimped? See the ring?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab170/jepp2/CrimpedPrimers.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t%3D476556&h=400&w=550&sz=24&tbnid= gB0uJ9Kb4rmfGM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=170&zoom=1&usg=__hHY ibrnxoyVmXkDa1DeHptIyMec=&docid=dFR_KKJKi6gjnM&sa= X&ei=7OhuUtGdOqOTyQGwhIGYBw&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBg

If so you need to remove that before inserting a new primer.

Just to make it clear, 5.56 brass and 223 brass will have identical exterior dimensions once you run them both through your 223 FL sizing die. There is no such thing as 5.56 loading dies, it's all 223.

It was once thought that 5.56 brass was thicker and had less case capacity than 223 brass. This is not the case and in most instances the 5.56 brass has more case capacity then 223 brass.
mseric is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #16
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,740
Liked 3359 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default

The biggest consideration is case length. 5.56 brass tends to run long before firing. After resizing it will be WAY TOO long. You must trim to length. 1.76" is max. 1.75" is "trim length". If you trim to a uniform length, you will get more consistent crimps and better accuracy.

700? Pffft. I am working on processing 20,000 pieces of 5.56 at the moment.
__________________
In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball
robocop10mm is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,174
Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Back-up and take a look at the primer pockets. Are they crimped? See the ring?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab170/jepp2/CrimpedPrimers.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t%3D476556&h=400&w=550&sz=24&tbnid= gB0uJ9Kb4rmfGM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=170&zoom=1&usg=__hHY ibrnxoyVmXkDa1DeHptIyMec=&docid=dFR_KKJKi6gjnM&sa= X&ei=7OhuUtGdOqOTyQGwhIGYBw&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBg

If so you need to remove that before inserting a new primer.

Just to make it clear, 5.56 brass and 223 brass will have identical exterior dimensions once you run them both through your 223 FL sizing die. There is no such thing as 5.56 loading dies, it's all 223.

It was once thought that 5.56 brass was thicker and had less case capacity than 223 brass. This is not the case and in most instances the 5.56 brass has more case capacity then 223 brass.
That was what I was getting from most of the other forums that were saying it shouldn't be done.

I believe They are crimped but here's a pic to make sure:
img_1522-1-.jpg  
__________________
Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand
longunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,761
Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Default

Quote:
That was what I was getting from most of the other forums that were saying it shouldn't be done.
It most certainly can be done and is done all the time.

If you are going to load 223/5.56 purchase a crimp removal tool. They can be had in many different styles.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimension id=11892

Removing the crimp only need to be done once, so it's not that big of a deal. Simple, easy and quick.
mseric is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,740
Liked 3359 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default

Anyone who tells you that using 5.56 brass in a .223 is a bad idea is not a very informed loader. They probably have no clue that you can make 8mm Mauser brass from .30-06/.270/.280/.35 Whelen. Many things can be done if done right.

Remember, when you work up a load using the Lake City brass, it will be a load for THAT brass. Changing ANY component necessitates a new work up
__________________
In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball
robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CamoToe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 261
Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric
It most certainly can be done and is done all the time. If you are going to load 223/5.56 purchase a crimp removal tool. They can be had in many different styles. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimension id=11892 Removing the crimp only need to be done once, so it's not that big of a deal. Simple, easy and quick.
For the OP and others on here: is a primer pocket swager really necessary? I have been using my RCBS deburring tool to remove the primer crimp without issues. I'm not saying that it isn't a better tool for the job, but would like to know if it's absolutely necessary. I chuck my deburring tool into a drill when I have a bunch of military brass to prep.

image-4065292052.jpg

You can see the slight chamfer put on these three separate military crimped brass. The chamfer removes the crimp and makes priming the cases easier. The one on the right still has the red glue line.
image-2145655319.jpg  
CamoToe1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.243 win load question and powder question Mantids88 Ammunition & Reloading 8 10-16-2010 11:55 PM



Newest Threads