Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223/ 5.56

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .223/ 5.56

looking for succesful recepies. im loading for my new kel-tek plr-16. 9.5 in barrell. mostly looking to drive tacks
thx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

best bet is to buy a manual or go online with one of the manufacturers like hornady or remington and then work up your own load. Using other people's best loads can get you in trouble. I am amazed at the spelling errors on forums and all you need is for someone to post a powder name erroneously, or the wrong charge and you going to blow up a rifle.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

oldpapps Likes This 
Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

Liked 825 Times on 593 Posts
Likes Given: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdee View Post
best bet is to buy a manual or go online with one of the manufacturers like hornady or remington and then work up your own load. Using other people's best loads can get you in trouble. I am amazed at the spelling errors on forums and all you need is for someone to post a powder name erroneously, or the wrong charge and you going to blow up a rifle.

Listen to him, he is right...............Get A Book.......or go here.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

When all else fails.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Question.
Great response.
Agreement with great response.
Followed with my agreement to both of above.

Commercially loaded stuff is plain loads, middle of the road and nothing special.

A 'recipe' is only a listing of what has worked at some time for some one else in some other weapon. It is a guide line as to what may be possible with those set components.

Your first concern is SAFETY. If the load blows up and kills you, 'it' may have been great in some testing action with a 26 inch barrel, but not much good for you.

Second concern is function. The bullet is pushed into the barrel.... and not out the muzzle. The load freezes the action. An autoloader doesn't perform the desired actions. Your load must function properly, or 'it' isn't any good.
Hopefully the data listed in a loading manual or with a reputable on-line source will get you past the first and second concerns. That is why we have them.

This brings us to this point, the best part in my opinion, building the actual load. This is where you, the loader, find 'the' loading that will give your weapon your desired accuracy and velocities and energies and smooth function. This takes testing, sometimes a lot of it. But we all fall back on those book listing for a starting point to select the bullet weight and type, powder type, primer choices and the finished mechanical sizes (C.O.A.L. being one).

There is no one 'recipe' for a given round, only a starting point.

If you are only interested in sticking together some stuff and going bang, use a 'starting' load from a reputable source and stop there. If you want better, well, it takes thought, time and some work.

Enjoy,

OSOK