.223 and 5.56
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .223 and 5.56

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default .223 and 5.56

OK I kinda, sorta have decided that i wll be getting an AR in 5.56. I will be getting 1000 rounds reloadable bulk ammo.

In my searches for reloading gear for this ammo the only thing i find is Die sets for .223.

My question is, will .223 dies work to reload 5.56?

I understand you can use .223 ammo in a 5.56 chamber but you cant shoot 5.56 in a gun chambered in .233.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2414 Times on 1307 Posts
Likes Given: 695

The 223 dies work fine for me. The NATO round has a higher operating pressure than the 223 and the chambers are different. I have a bolt and an AR so I load to 223 specs.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #3

Die sets are the same. I use regular Lee .223 Dies for reloading my AK223 (Wasr 3), and never have a problem cycling the brass.
They do suggest however using a small base die set for semi-autos. Here is a youtube video that I found that explains the difference between regular and small base dies.

Forgot to mention ... also lookout for Military Brass. The cases are crimped, and the crimp needs to be removed before reloading. This only needs to occur once, however requires either a swaging tool to open up the primer pocket by relocating metal, or by the use of a cutter to remove metal around the primer pocket. (Swagers are the way to go - Dillon is best $$$, however some swear by the RCBS if not processing a lot of cases).

Almostgem
John

Last edited by almostgem; 01-01-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Mention of Military Brass and Swaging

Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

cool! Thanks guys!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!