.22 For self defense. Yay or nay?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > .22 For self defense. Yay or nay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 34

Default .22 For self defense. Yay or nay?

Im thinking about getting a simi-auto .22 but the big "elephant in the room" is the put down ability of a .22. I know everyone talks about bullet placement, but i was wondering what kind of put down power a .22 has and what kind of self defense rounds are the best (if there are any). Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's a nasty little round. It's half shot placement and half shot repetition. .22 tends to bounce off skulls at odd angles but generally it won't have a problem penetrating. Also note, a difference in accuracy and muzzle velocity between being used in a pistol or a rifle. Personally, I will use (for self defense) any .22lr pistol that can be shot quickly, a lot, and that I can clear very quickly in the event that there is a bad cartridge. Look up some tests. Stopping power may be less than other cartridge but you can add 40 grain shots up fairly quickly.

Centerfire is generally accepted to be more reliable for self defense. There are some videos on YouTube of people shooting frozen turkeys with jackets on. You should try it for yourself.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cci are my favorite self defense rounds. Pick one of those that works for you. Sorry for the double post, forgot to answer your question

Old 10-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2409 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 694

I carried one for a long time until the mouse guns came along. Shot placement and penetration is critical and solids not hollow points. The HP's wont open in the velocities attained in the short barrels anyway. Top quality 40 grain HV solids are more reliable. A 22lr pistol is easy to shoot and practice is cheap so a lot of skill can be built up. For home defense, I would go to a rifle which with its longer barrel and higher velocities is a much better weapon.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-17-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Lmyoung Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmyoung View Post
Im thinking about getting a simi-auto .22 but the big "elephant in the room" is the put down ability of a .22. I know everyone talks about bullet placement, but i was wondering what kind of put down power a .22 has and what kind of self defense rounds are the best (if there are any). Thanks.

What are we talking about here? Mouse guns? A semi auto rifle by the bedroom door? Big performance and usability differences there. Out of a rifle, I would think that they might start to approach "effective." Placement would be easier as well.
Out a tiny pocket pistol, not so much. Considering that pistols of similar size are available in more useful calibers, why would anyone who knew better, even bother with a .22 pocket pistol? Even a .32 acp is a worthwhile step up.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
Lmyoung Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

IF that is all you can afford, then go for it.

Would you want that if there was a wild boar in the same room? Not me. Give me something bigger.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Lmyoung Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #7

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

A 22LR is better than an empty hand. Personally I don't want to be shot with any kind of gun. I doubt a bad guy will like it either. No bad guy will be thinking "I have been shot with a 22LR I will be OK." Around the world the 22LR kills more people than any round.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-17-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Lmyoung Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #8

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Reliability would be my main concern. I've had countless .22 fail to fires and jamming is much more common than with centerfire rounds.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Lmyoung Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

+1 with Yunus. The truth is that the round is simply not reliable. Way too many FTFs with .22. There is no doubt in my mind as to the lethality (is that a word?) of the round, keep in mind for years Israeli Air Marshalls have carried .22s on El Al flights.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
Lmyoung Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1343 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

Yay..............

When all else fails.

Lmyoung Likes This