Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .22 For self defense. Yay or nay? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/22-self-defense-yay-nay-74491/)

Lmyoung 10-17-2012 02:49 AM

.22 For self defense. Yay or nay?

Im thinking about getting a simi-auto .22 but the big "elephant in the room" is the put down ability of a .22. I know everyone talks about bullet placement, but i was wondering what kind of put down power a .22 has and what kind of self defense rounds are the best (if there are any). Thanks.

THEMENACE 10-17-2012 12:43 PM

It's a nasty little round. It's half shot placement and half shot repetition. .22 tends to bounce off skulls at odd angles but generally it won't have a problem penetrating. Also note, a difference in accuracy and muzzle velocity between being used in a pistol or a rifle. Personally, I will use (for self defense) any .22lr pistol that can be shot quickly, a lot, and that I can clear very quickly in the event that there is a bad cartridge. Look up some tests. Stopping power may be less than other cartridge but you can add 40 grain shots up fairly quickly.

Centerfire is generally accepted to be more reliable for self defense. There are some videos on YouTube of people shooting frozen turkeys with jackets on. You should try it for yourself.

THEMENACE 10-17-2012 12:44 PM

Cci are my favorite self defense rounds. Pick one of those that works for you. Sorry for the double post, forgot to answer your question :)

JTJ 10-17-2012 01:44 PM

I carried one for a long time until the mouse guns came along. Shot placement and penetration is critical and solids not hollow points. The HP's wont open in the velocities attained in the short barrels anyway. Top quality 40 grain HV solids are more reliable. A 22lr pistol is easy to shoot and practice is cheap so a lot of skill can be built up. For home defense, I would go to a rifle which with its longer barrel and higher velocities is a much better weapon.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Overkill0084 10-17-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lmyoung (Post 979796)
Im thinking about getting a simi-auto .22 but the big "elephant in the room" is the put down ability of a .22. I know everyone talks about bullet placement, but i was wondering what kind of put down power a .22 has and what kind of self defense rounds are the best (if there are any). Thanks.

What are we talking about here? Mouse guns? A semi auto rifle by the bedroom door? Big performance and usability differences there. Out of a rifle, I would think that they might start to approach "effective." Placement would be easier as well.
Out a tiny pocket pistol, not so much. Considering that pistols of similar size are available in more useful calibers, why would anyone who knew better, even bother with a .22 pocket pistol? Even a .32 acp is a worthwhile step up.

danf_fl 10-17-2012 02:29 PM

IF that is all you can afford, then go for it.

Would you want that if there was a wild boar in the same room? Not me. Give me something bigger.

Old_Crow 10-17-2012 02:37 PM

A 22LR is better than an empty hand. Personally I don't want to be shot with any kind of gun. I doubt a bad guy will like it either. No bad guy will be thinking "I have been shot with a 22LR I will be OK." Around the world the 22LR kills more people than any round.

Yunus 10-17-2012 02:41 PM

Reliability would be my main concern. I've had countless .22 fail to fires and jamming is much more common than with centerfire rounds.

drvsafe 10-17-2012 02:46 PM

+1 with Yunus. The truth is that the round is simply not reliable. Way too many FTFs with .22. There is no doubt in my mind as to the lethality (is that a word?) of the round, keep in mind for years Israeli Air Marshalls have carried .22s on El Al flights.

303tom 10-17-2012 03:26 PM

Yay..............