Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   .22 rounds not all the same (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/22-rounds-not-all-same-7946/)

shnorse 10-24-2008 01:01 AM

.22 rounds not all the same

i bought 500 rounds of subsonic rounds for my 22lr rifle.. when firing, i would have like 20 rounds all sound the same, and then 1 wouldnt be as loud, prolly half volume... not sure if it hit or not, i was just plinking... and then they'd go back to normal...

i am using an old remington targetmaster single shot 22. i also got smoke coming out the bolt before i cocked it back...

is it the gun, or the ammo?

1hole 10-24-2008 01:33 AM

"is it the gun, or the ammo?"

Wellll - the gun stays the same from round to round. Maybe the ammo?

cbw 10-24-2008 02:39 AM

good one 1hole :D

Jay 10-24-2008 11:17 AM

There's more variance in quality in .22 LR rounds than almost any other ammunition. I think you'll find that you're gonna get exactly what you pay for. The high end .22 LR match ammo can sell for $125 per 500 rounds.

Catfish 10-24-2008 09:47 PM

You didn`t say what brand the ammo was, but, I know it was not Eley. When you buy sub-sonic ammo there is quite abit of difference in quality. I like the Rem. sub-sonics. There is quite abit of varation in velosity compaired to the higher priced ammo, but it does seem to shoot very good for the price.

shnorse 10-25-2008 03:06 AM

so its fine to shoot... just get a few bad ones in a 16.00 bunch....

as long as they wont blow up on me or something... last thing i need is for the gun bolt to get pushed back and i get bullet frags in my face or something...

good to know it's normal..

thanks

Jay 10-25-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

so its fine to shoot... just get a few bad ones in a 16.00 bunch....
Absolutely. Rimfire rounds are more prone to misfire than almost any other round. That's why the "good stuff" costs so much more.

dragunovsks 10-26-2008 02:16 AM

It's also not match grade ammo, it's made by a machine that doesn't always add the right amount of powder. Sometimes a little more gets in and other times a little less. I was told that if your were to buy match grade, then it wouldn't happen, at least not as much.

I use this mass produced ammo too, cause it's just for plinking. I had one that sounded like the rifle was silenced when shot. I got to thinking about it before I fired anymore and removed the barrel from the action and ran a cleaning rod down the barrel. Lol and behold, the round didn't have enough powder behind it to make it more than 3 inches down the barrel. I used a sturdy cleaning rod and some gun oil and it popped right out. Then I switched ammo, from Remington to Federal.

cpttango30 10-26-2008 01:43 PM

So you have a Remington 510 targetmaster. Subsonic ammo will cause no harm to your rifle. Like the other guys said some extra powder got in their.

Shooting them and don't worry about it. I don't think the 22lr has enough power to explode a decent quality rifle.

KingTiger 10-27-2008 02:05 PM

Sounds like Remington subsonics to me. Assuming they ignite, they're some of the dirtyest, most inconsistent .22LR rounds out there. I mainly shoot my .22's suppressed, and only CCI standard velocity or subsonics go thru my cans.