Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 100gr 7mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 100gr 7mm rem mag

Has anyone tried loding a 100gr HP 7mm rem mag?
I'm looking for a fur friendly combination.
Someone please give advice.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2609 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 203

What kind of fur? Coyote? starting loads from Hodgdon give about 3200 FPS with a 100 gr Sierra HP.

That is probably too much rifle for smaller fur bearing critters (if you want to have any fur left). Even the starting loads will be pretty explosive on animals under 50lbs.

If you are looking to down load the gun and save the expense of buying an appropriate rifle you should look at Lyman's cast bullet data. IF you have experience w/ light loaded cast bullets in rifles you could do some interesting things with the little 100 grainers. Dacron filler is your best friend when working up these loads. There is a lot of unused space in that big belted case when you are going for about 2000 fps.

Could it be done? Sure. Is it safe? Probably. But I would only attempt such an endeavor if I had mucho experience reloading

Old 11-08-2008, 01:15 AM   #3

I don't reload yet. I just want to use one gun for all the hunting. But i thought the bullet would just go through without opening? Maybe i will have to buy a varmint rifle.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 AM   #4

Anybody else?