10 gauge shotgun hulls

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > 10 gauge shotgun hulls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 10 gauge shotgun hulls

Does anyone have any idea what the difference is between Federal and Remington hull, beside color? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

One says federal and the other says Remington. And now I move out of the way for serious answers.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #3

I don't know what makes the difference other than quality but I have noticed that some are better than others when reloading. The cheaper ones will crack and expand to the point that the extractor will tare the brass off and still not extract the spent hull. 20 cents per round shots r cheap n good for skeet shooting put are useless if used for reloading.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Moved to the Ammunition and reloading area.

Internal volume will vary some. Always use published data as people with more sofisticated equipment have already worked out most of the hurdles for us.

Not knowing how much loading experience you have I will give some basic info. One piece, compression formed hulls are the most desirable. Multi piece hulls have plastic or fiber base wads severly limit the available space and can work loose causing a bore obstruction if loaded too many times.

As a general rule, I will not load such multi piece hulls more once. There are too many higher quality hulls available.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What would be an example of a brand of hull that shouldn't be reloaded more than once? Federal, Remington, etc.?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Every maker has good hulls and cheap hulls. The rule of thumb I use it if it has a smooth plastic body, it is probably a good hull. If it has a ribbed plastic body, it probably is a cheap hull.

The exception I have seen is Federal High Brass #4's and buckshot. Most of those are one piece compression formed hulls

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball