Your thoughts on a Saiga 410 for home defense. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Your thoughts on a Saiga 410 for home defense.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have killed all sorts of critters with a .410. Its a great little gun and I trust mine.

Last edited by suprdave; 10-24-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #12

I just picked up a couple boxes (5-round boxes) of 410 Federal slugs at the local hardware store. Cost was less than $5 per box. Already have 000 buck in 410 bore at home. I googled Federal Ammo stats on 410 Power Shok Slugs. Found this listed.

Velocity = 1775 Feet Per Sec.

Muzzle Energy = 762 Foot Pounds

Weight = 1/4 Ounce slug

I think this energy is a bit more than a 357 Magnum at 'Front Door/Front Porch ranges. So I'd say yes, its good for self defence if that is what you want to use. I think the stats also showed that the slug contained 207 FPE at 100 yards range. That is still equivqlent to 38 Special muzzle energy. The Ballistic Coeffecient is poor on the slug, so it looses energy rapidly due to air drag. Thus, its not a good long range weapon.

NRA Member

Old 02-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't use a .410 for home or self defense. I have a short barreled 12ga. loaded with 00 buckshot within arms reach of my bed and a .357 in the nightstand.

My battle rifle is an M1 Garand. My SHTF sidearm is a 1911. If I have to use a firearm under a worst case scenario, I want what I hit to go down and stay there.

I love this.

I would not suggest a 410 for home defense. (unless it was in the Judge)

My Home defense is Moss 500 00Buck with Glock 23C in the night stand.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #14

At my latest CCW class, the instructor recommended .410 for home defense. I currently have a Mossberg 500 12GA, but last week I bought a Mossberg 500 .410 6-shot Cruiser for my wife to use. The 12 GA is a little large and heavy for her. She liked the feel of the Cruiser at the store, especially the pistol grip.

I'd like to get a Taurus Judge revolver, but they're banned here in the CPR.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #15

Liked 1463 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

In a home defense situation, all my guns available to me are used to get me to my shotgun. The importance of my shotgun would be diminished if chambered in 410.

When buying a function specific (home defense) firearm, purchase the most effective weapon you can afford. And I think I saw the Saiga 410 was more expensive than the 12ga? Even the 410 magazines are more than the 12's.

DON'T dumb down this important tool for fun. Get the right tool for the job and then get the fun gun when you can afford it.
1_2cents.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

A 410 is adequate for home defense. I know that the current thinking is that your have to have a big bore, multiple shot sawed off number but in a close range situation a 410, even with fours or sixes will stop anyone in their tracks. I have read that some profess that they have seen someone hit with two loads of buckshot out of a 12 gauge and it didnít stop them but I figure that I shovel that stuff out of the barn every day. I do know a guy that lost a leg after being hit with a load of 7Ĺs out of a 410 at twenty feet. I have shot and hunted with 410s for over sixty years and am comfortable saying that they are as good a gun for home defense as anything out there. To me people who put them down are either poor shots or pumped up on cold steel testosterone. You donít need a cannon to kill sparrows.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
In a home defense situation, all my guns available to me are used to get me to my shotgun. The importance of my shotgun would be diminished if chambered in 410.

When buying a function specific (home defense) firearm, purchase the most effective weapon you can afford. And I think I saw the Saiga 410 was more expensive than the 12ga? Even the 410 magazines are more than the 12's.
I gotta agree. Anytime there is a question of adequacy always error on the side of caution.

While I have no doubt the .410 is sufficient for most home defense scenarios, why not enjoy the versatility of the 12 gauge, which is sufficient for all home defense situations? In addition, ammo availability is endless as well as the dynamic options to choose from.

A 12 gauge is also my primary home defense weapon. It is not my first line of defense, but it is my main HD weapon. I load mine with heavy game loads for the first 2 shells and 00 or 000 buck for the next 4. This is just to ensure hits, even if I'm a little off due to grogginess and/or darkness. (Not everyone agrees with that loading, but it has been tested and found to be perfectly effective) Next I have a 12 more shells (6 on the buttstock, 6 on my hip) to choose from. I keep each filled 1/2 000 buck and 1/2 slugs, by the time I need those (which I probably never would ) I'm gonna be wide awake and able to place shots accurately.

We won't get into the next line of HD. Get the Saiga 12. . . you'd be well armed and the envy of all your friends.