Your thoughts on the Ithica M37 Defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Your thoughts on the Ithica M37 Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Your thoughts on the Ithica M37 Defense

5 or 8 shot magazine tube, wood or synthetic.

Saw this on American Shooter tonight. $300 - 400, not bad.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 12-09-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If this is a true Ithica made Model 37 (I thought they went under) then it is a true classic design, totally reliable, and a great defensive shotgun--it was used by many law enforcement agencies as their "car" shotguns. The more you shoot it the smoother it gets...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 12-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The 37 is an under-appreciated standard in pump guns.

The Ithaca 37 Featherlight is a legend in the world of pump-action shotguns. The gun was designed by the famous firearms designers John Browning and John Pedersen and first sold as the Remington Model 17.

Mine is a 1943 Featherlight 16ga that managed the rabbit and pheasant population in NE Ohio for years.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 12-09-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Great shotgun! I agree that it has been overlooked, expect by Hollywood. Seems like every cop (and prison) movie you'd see in the '60 and '70 had one in the hands of a cop about to go through a door. If I recall correctly,Alaska State Police were one of the last to give up there 37s when transitioning to something else,probably an 870. Having been an owner,IMO, believe its built stronger,older ones for sure, than other guns in its class. Just seems hard to get accessories, like side saddles etc.... Also, tac.reloads like you see on some of these combat shows can't be done with its bottom eject. All in all,I believe its strengths to out weigh its weaknesses. I'm unaware that they were ever out of business. I know they moved the factory and are no longer out of Ithica, NY.. And if I'm not mistaken, Browning (all hail Browning) designed the 37. So how could ya go wrong?

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Last edited by HKSlinger; 12-09-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The 37 is an under-appreciated standard in pump guns.

The Ithaca 37 Featherlight is a legend in the world of pump-action shotguns. The gun was designed by the famous firearms designers John Browning and John Pedersen and first sold as the Remington Model 17.

Mine is a 1943 Featherlight 16ga that managed the rabbit and pheasant population in NE Ohio for years.
Cane: I grew up in Wadsworth and also hunted rabbits in NE Ohio with a Model 37 in 16 gauge--this was in the 60s and there weren't very many pheasants around, but once in awhile we'd get one...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #6

Undeniably awesome. I have a 12 ga. featherlight from the 1969 production run. Silky smooth, easy shouldering, light, undeniably awesome. You'll find the defense version stomped the others in every category including price in a recent review somewhere....Maybe Randy Wakeman? Google it.

I don't come to internet forums to argue, so if it seems like I'm ignoring your response, I am.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #7

It is a "True" Ithica, in as much as a modern Ithica can be a True one. It is yet another resurrection of the classic company and their classic pumper.

One thing I saw on the American Shooter show was that yes this is moderately priced, BUT the barrel is permanently fused with the receiver. NO barrel changing with this one. If that is all you need/want, then sure it would be a good HD platform.

How can that be a cheaper way to make a shotgun and thus reducing the production costs, I do not know.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I wonder why they would have done that with the barrel

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 12-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
Cane: I grew up in Wadsworth and also hunted rabbits in NE Ohio with a Model 37 in 16 gauge--this was in the 60s and there weren't very many pheasants around, but once in awhile we'd get one...
I was further East and North in Brookfield right on the PA line.

We had plenty of pheasants in the late 50's early 60's but they thinned out by the time I got out of the Navy in the early 70's. Don't think I took a bird after I got home. Plenty of taste-good bunny's though!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

all i can say is i have had my eye on a ithca m37 for a while now and once the ar is complete it will be my next gun and first shotgun. only complaint i have is i cant find accessories for it like you can a mossy or 870.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."