Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Your thoughts on the Ithica M37 Defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/your-thoughts-ithica-m37-defense-35371/)

dunerunner 12-09-2010 05:28 AM

Your thoughts on the Ithica M37 Defense

5 or 8 shot magazine tube, wood or synthetic.

Saw this on American Shooter tonight. $300 - 400, not bad.

http://www.ithacagun.com/images/defe...hetic8Shot.jpg

Missileman 12-09-2010 02:23 PM

If this is a true Ithica made Model 37 (I thought they went under) then it is a true classic design, totally reliable, and a great defensive shotgun--it was used by many law enforcement agencies as their "car" shotguns. The more you shoot it the smoother it gets...

canebrake 12-09-2010 02:45 PM

The 37 is an under-appreciated standard in pump guns.

The Ithaca 37 Featherlight is a legend in the world of pump-action shotguns. The gun was designed by the famous firearms designers John Browning and John Pedersen and first sold as the Remington Model 17.

Mine is a 1943 Featherlight 16ga that managed the rabbit and pheasant population in NE Ohio for years.

HKSlinger 12-09-2010 03:34 PM

Great shotgun! I agree that it has been overlooked, expect by Hollywood. Seems like every cop (and prison) movie you'd see in the '60 and '70 had one in the hands of a cop about to go through a door. If I recall correctly,Alaska State Police were one of the last to give up there 37s when transitioning to something else,probably an 870. Having been an owner,IMO, believe its built stronger,older ones for sure, than other guns in its class. Just seems hard to get accessories, like side saddles etc.... Also, tac.reloads like you see on some of these combat shows can't be done with its bottom eject. All in all,I believe its strengths to out weigh its weaknesses. I'm unaware that they were ever out of business. I know they moved the factory and are no longer out of Ithica, NY.. And if I'm not mistaken, Browning (all hail Browning) designed the 37. So how could ya go wrong?

Missileman 12-09-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 399847)
The 37 is an under-appreciated standard in pump guns.

The Ithaca 37 Featherlight is a legend in the world of pump-action shotguns. The gun was designed by the famous firearms designers John Browning and John Pedersen and first sold as the Remington Model 17.

Mine is a 1943 Featherlight 16ga that managed the rabbit and pheasant population in NE Ohio for years.

Cane: I grew up in Wadsworth and also hunted rabbits in NE Ohio with a Model 37 in 16 gauge--this was in the 60s and there weren't very many pheasants around, but once in awhile we'd get one...

Ronbo 12-11-2010 12:12 AM

Undeniably awesome. I have a 12 ga. featherlight from the 1969 production run. Silky smooth, easy shouldering, light, undeniably awesome. You'll find the defense version stomped the others in every category including price in a recent review somewhere....Maybe Randy Wakeman? Google it.

WoodysKJ 12-11-2010 07:29 PM

It is a "True" Ithica, in as much as a modern Ithica can be a True one. It is yet another resurrection of the classic company and their classic pumper.

One thing I saw on the American Shooter show was that yes this is moderately priced, BUT the barrel is permanently fused with the receiver. NO barrel changing with this one. If that is all you need/want, then sure it would be a good HD platform.

How can that be a cheaper way to make a shotgun and thus reducing the production costs, I do not know.

HKSlinger 12-11-2010 07:47 PM

I wonder why they would have done that with the barrel :confused:

canebrake 12-11-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missileman (Post 399867)
Cane: I grew up in Wadsworth and also hunted rabbits in NE Ohio with a Model 37 in 16 gauge--this was in the 60s and there weren't very many pheasants around, but once in awhile we'd get one...

I was further East and North in Brookfield right on the PA line.

We had plenty of pheasants in the late 50's early 60's but they thinned out by the time I got out of the Navy in the early 70's. Don't think I took a bird after I got home. Plenty of taste-good bunny's though!

mach1337 12-11-2010 09:38 PM

all i can say is i have had my eye on a ithca m37 for a while now and once the ar is complete it will be my next gun and first shotgun. only complaint i have is i cant find accessories for it like you can a mossy or 870.