your first high quality shotgun... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

your first high quality shotgun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm very familiar with the Zoli line. I have a good friend who owns a high-end gun shop here in PA. He gave me a 20 gauge Kronos demo gun to tryout for a weekend of shooting. It was one of the best competition guns I ever had the pleasure of using. I just like my Browning sewer-pipe feeling guns a little more...

Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #12

Liked 186 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

it really depends on your opinion of high quality, the first shot gun I fired was a rusty half broken 12 gauge single shot with a broken ejecter. As where my first shotgun which is high quality compared to the old 12 guage was an 870 express, so I guess it depends on your opinion.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I am not in the Browning league. I too was raising a family. My best shotgun was a Ruger Red Label 20 gauge choked Imp & Mod I bought used but pristine. It had a gorgeous stock. Unfortunately I had to sell it when things got really rough. Sorry but no pictures.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

JTJ, not to worry, better days ahead...

Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugo View Post
JTJ, not to worry, better days ahead...
I am doing OK now but just not into shotguns anymore. At the time I sold off almost all my guns.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #16

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

That is a beautiful shotgun and I understand why you like it.

While I have spent some good money on pistols and rifles, I have been happy with plain, functional shotguns. I see them as a tool to harvest food and home defence only. The short barrel 870 that lives by my bed is a tool that lets me sleep well at night. For harvesting food, I have a shotgun that most people would cringe at. I have an old J.C. Higgins bolt action, 5 shot, 28" full choke gun. It will reach out an gather food.

I did see, on another forum, a shotgun with an extra barrel, that was on sale, down to $30,000.00 from $35,000. You would have to harvest a pile of squirrels to break even on that one.

To each man his own.

Carl Sagan

Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #17

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

I've always used "utilty" shotguns. I do have a Cooey travel gun that was my Dads. The problem w/ finding the value is that there were 3 grades, and no two people agree as to the grade. I really don't care though. It is going nowhere. It is a true beast on the shoulder w/ 2 3/4" high brass. Sucks w/ the steel only law for waterfowl as that is what it was made for. I could try Bismuth I guess. I'm going to re-finish this gun someday. It needs some TLC on the blueing and wood finish.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #18

I originally thought my fiirst quality shotgun was a Beretta 391. I've had three of them.

I later found out it was actually a Beretta O/U.

Then my Benellis. Sport IIs. Fantastic autos.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #19

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

@Slugo---I hear ya there...those Brownings just fit right and the heavy barrels swing really well.

@others, It DOES matter what you call high quality. To me it just happens to be the really expensive ones because in shooting competitions like I do, I can't afford to have an FTF, that's a lost target/pair when one or two birds can make all the difference.

and @JTJ Times are tough right now for me as well...I'm going to school out of NY in Missouri and it's hard holding a job for a couple months at a time...But I've already sold two guns that didn't mean much to me...the one's I have left are sticking with me for life.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #20

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

BTW...I am actually trying to sell my Browning 425 12ga. 30".... $1500 takes the gun, Choke Wrench, 2 invector plus flush chokes (IC and Mod) and the $250 leather case.

your first high quality shotgun... - General Shotgun Discussion

Only mark on the gun is where a couple rocks were kicked up at it by an ATV at a competition....Didn't break the finish, just made some dimples.

your first high quality shotgun... - General Shotgun Discussion