Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun Mythbusting VIDEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19603 Times on 11127 Posts
Likes Given: 49355

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Are you taking the time to do the typical one eye closed, line up the bead, pull the trigger, then reacquire?
when shooting such close range and testing i try for keeping both eyes open. doesn't always go that way and my way of thinking is that in a stressful, after hours need, i am not going to be thinking as much about careful aiming as just centering on the largest part of the BG and pulling the trigger, then pumping another into the chamber, ready if needed. i just try to apply common sense thinking to the situation and try for what would my condition be if the that type of situation were to occur. if my thinking is flawed, then i'm open to suggestions to try out.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #22

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Are you taking the time to do the typical one eye closed, line up the bead, pull the trigger, then reacquire?
no if it came to that im doing all i can not to piss all over myself and fire 3 times at center mass with my 38 spl

Old 05-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #23

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 67

never try to aim with one eye shur sign of a beginner BOTH EYES OPEN ALWAYS even with a scope

Old 05-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #24

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
never try to aim with one eye shur sign of a beginner BOTH EYES OPEN ALWAYS even with a scope
Which is one of the flaws in this post. What constitutes "aiming?" If I shoot from the hip, I'm still "aiming" the weapon.

My shotgun has a bead. When I'm hunting woodland rabbits, grouse or pheasant; I'm not looking for a bead, I instinctively shoulder then "aim" the barrel, both eyes open. If I had sights, I wouldn't use them; that's with a full choke.

Like I was saying, "there are shotguns, then there are shotguns."

Old 05-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19603 Times on 11127 Posts
Likes Given: 49355

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
Which is one of the flaws in this post. What constitutes "aiming?" If I shoot from the hip, I'm still "aiming" the weapon.

My shotgun has a bead. When I'm hunting woodland rabbits, grouse or pheasant; I'm not looking for a bead, I instinctively shoulder then "aim" the barrel, both eyes open. If I had sights, I wouldn't use them; that's with a full choke.

Like I was saying, "there are shotguns, then there are shotguns."
i think the OP was addressing the "Hollywood movie" myth of shooting a shotgun. pointing in a general direction and pulling the trigger, and getting an eight foot blast pattern. and this gives people who buy a shotgun a false sense of what a shotgun truly is. they have to be aimed just as a pistol or rifle has to be, just not the same precision. plus a shotgun load loses velocity over distance much quicker because of multiple projectiles.

i think i understand what you're saying and agree. hunting with a shotgun is different than shooting in a SD situation. maybe what you are refering to when hunting is what we called instinctive aiming. because you don't really have time to really acquire the sights. i didn't do a lot of bird hunting, but many years ago did do sporting clays and that was how i shot. not really using the bead but keeping the barrel and target in sight and leading and following then shooting.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #26

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Nice video, thanks for sharing. May I ask what's the probability of 00 buck penetrating interior walls?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #27

Does anyone know anything about the De Gaspar Arizaga Eibarie? I have what I think is an old one! It's a 12 gauge double barrel with double triggers. I'm not sure how old it is or what its worth any advice would be appreciated thanx

Old 05-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My main complaint is that the video suggests that a 'pretty standard' self defense range is going to be about 21 to 25 feet. I think that is too far for an in the home self defense shooting.

Think about it, a typical living room may be 14 by 20 feet, many are smaller, many are larger, but if you are in a 20' long room and your back is pressed hard against the wall (unlikely) then the muzzle of the gun will be about 3' from the wall, that means that the criminal is going to be no more than 17 feet away and presumes his back is pressed hard against the opposite wall (equally unlikely).

My bet is that for an inside the home self defense shooting the average distance is probably going to be 10 to 15 feet, not 21 to 25 feet.

Other than that I think the video was pretty illustrative of what it was attempting to do, which is prove that you must aim a shotgun.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
Nice video, thanks for sharing. May I ask what's the probability of 00 buck penetrating interior walls?
100% probability of penetrating SEVERAL ROOMS, and being lethal on the other side of a couple walls, according to some work that was done by Massad Ayoob.

Mas has recommended #4 BUCKshot (not BIRDshot) as a reliable and proven man stopper that will be less likely to over penetrate.

Care must be taken when using 00 Buck. It can easily penetrate EXTERIOR walls in most frame houses in addition to interior walls. If you live in an apartment, or in a tight suburban/urban setting then it probably is not a great idea to utilize 00 Buck. On the other hand if you live out in the country or if your home has brick exterior walls then 00 Buck is not going to be likely to pose a risk to your neighbors.

If you care about your children or pets and if they may be in another room, as opposed to being behind you, then you may want to consider #4 BUCKshot as your home defense round.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #30

Liked 2309 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

i think most anyone who handles a shotgun knows you must aim for consistant hits. however, it is MUCH easier to hit targets (especially moving) with a shotgun vs a rifle or pistol. FACT.

but your post is good for shotgun newbies who think you just have to point a shotty in the gerenal direction for a sure kill. this is a MYTH!

shotgun reigns as home defense/short range champ imo!