You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun Mythbusting VIDEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
while a shotgun is a very good goblin stopper, when you discharge one using a typical 00 buckshot round you are responsible for every stray shot. cranking off at the hip and spray and pray attitude your going to have lots of pelets scooting past the bad guy.

buckshot has a very nasty tendency towards extreme overpenetration on walls. if you aim centermass your using the goblin as a backstop for all the projectiles. if your shooting from the hip your liekly to be using loved ones or neighbors as a backstop... murphy is an excellent shot.
true but take the same shots at the same range and the same choke with 1.25 oz 7.5

Old 05-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #12

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 25

When I think "not aiming" I think of something like point shooting not so much shooting from the hip. You can put accurate rounds on target w/o taking aim in the traditional sense. I was doing it a week ago in a class. A man at ranges you'd find in the average home/apt. is a very large target.

I do practice drawing at home w/o looking down the sites then look down the sites to check to see if I'm on target. It's a muscle memory thing.

Look at those trick shooters who shoot from the hip w/ everything from SAA Revolvers to rifles and shotguns even bows. I'm sure those guys spend an insane amount of time training.

I don't think people should be shooting from the hip but there are techniques that bypass aiming in the traditional sense.

Just my thoughts.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #13

Liked 139 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 20

JonM, bingo, well put sir and precisely my point.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22400 Times on 12495 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Amsdorf, good information. i agree a shotgun needs to be aimed just as any other firearm. doesn't matter how much damage it could do to a BG, if it never hits the BG! and i agree that shotguns are one of the best HD firearms available. i think many confuse lacking precision for lack of aiming. as the shot spread is larger than either a pistol or rifle bullet, the shotgun doesn't require as much precision in aiming as a pistol or rifle in order to hit the intended target. but it still requires aiming just like any other firearm. IMO, much of this fallacy is generated by movies and tv.

i use 10 yards as my practice distance, as inside my home, if i can accurately hit at that distance, then i can engage any target within my home with ease. i am also partial to using #4 birdshot as at that same distance, it still does plenty of damage and i don't ever have to worry about overpenetration.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #15

So do you all actually look through the sights when engaging that close?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22400 Times on 12495 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
So do you all actually look through the sights when engaging that close?
mine has just the bead and i just sight down the barrel. my aiming is minute of BG! even if i am not directly centered and just hit him in the shoulder or leg or groin with the first round, because it's dark and can't get quite a clear shot, then at the very least i will have taken some of his initiative out. at 20 feet or less, #4 birdshot will still do quite a bit of damage.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #17

Liked 1928 Times on 1146 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I do not know why anyone who ever worked with a shotgun would have the notion that it doesn't have to be aimed. When I set up my shotgun for home defense, I went through a lot of shells determining just how it reacted at different distances. I also went through a bunch of discarded tin roofing figuring out how different rounds penetrated and patterned before selecting my HD rounds.

It is only in the movies that shotguns are fired from the hip, exploding semi-trucks and killing hoards of bandits per round.

Carl Sagan

Old 05-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
mine has just the bead and i just sight down the barrel. my aiming is minute of BG! even if i am not directly centered and just hit him in the shoulder or leg or groin with the first round, because it's dark and can't get quite a clear shot, then at the very least i will have taken some of his initiative out. at 20 feet or less, #4 birdshot will still do quite a bit of damage.
Are you taking the time to do the typical one eye closed, line up the bead, pull the trigger, then reacquire?

Old 05-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #19

Liked 139 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 20

In the one sequence where I'm blasting the heck out of the center mass target, I'm using the ghost ring and front sight, shooting, reacquiring and aiming/shooting again and I'm not sure I'd be placing the shot from 20-25 feet as I did if I had not been aiming, but...that may just be me.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #20

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
In the one sequence where I'm blasting the heck out of the center mass target, I'm using the ghost ring and front sight, shooting, reacquiring and aiming/shooting again and I'm not sure I'd be placing the shot from 20-25 feet as I did if I had not been aiming, but...that may just be me.
20-25 feet you must have a big house