Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun Mythbusting VIDEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I agree with oli. The axis of the barrel is your sight, and the bead is floated accordingly. I heard it said once that a bead sight was set up to shoot slugs at point of aim at 100 yards. Though I think there may be some holes in that bucket of water....

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #102

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700

Well it might not be an aperture but a bare back shotgun does in fact have a sight. It is the top on the receiver, usually milled flat and machined with grooves or checkers to lessen the glare when you are sighting down it. It is the reverence point for the rear of the weapon and to me just another kind of sight….not to butt in to your conversation but you’re on a public forum. If you want a private conversation maybe PM’s would be more appropriate....Respectfully
Not the point. It's the "rolleyes" that chafes me. We can respectfully debate and even disagree, such as you and I are currently doing. But to horn in and state something, then "roll your eyes", like someone hasn't a clue is not very respectful in my opinion.

I may be taking it wrong, and if so I'll own up to it and apologize. But at face value it appeared, to me anyway, that the time wasn't taken to understand the context of the conversation before throwing out a "drive by" smart ass comment.

And I fully understand and appreciate your position.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan
I agree with oli. The axis of the barrel is your sight, and the bead is floated accordingly. I heard it said once that a bead sight was set up to shoot slugs at point of aim at 100 yards. Though I think there may be some holes in that bucket of water....
Like I said to oil, you guys are respectful, obviously are shotgunners, and your comments and perspective are appreciated by me. But again, we just happen to disagree.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #104

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I'm not even sure what the conversation is about anymore

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 06-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #105

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

I think Amsdorf was trying to point out that his post that started this whole thread featured a shotgun that does indeed have front and rear sights.

You are correct that most shotguns do not, and wing shooters do generally use a just a bead.

I think teh reall heart of the point he was trying to make was to dispell tth eclassic myth of just point a shotgun in teh general direction of a thrat and they will be taken out by a huge unavoidable cone of death weilding projectiles, that kill on contact. You know, the kind of image Hollywood likes to promote as illustrative of the shotgun's power.

I read another thread about shotguns where someone cited the use of a Shotgun at the OK coral. They did fail to note that the individual who was shot was shot at cloe range, hit by both barrels, and still managed to walk 2 blocks before finally giving up the fight.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #106

Depends on what your definition of is.....is.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Depends on what your definition of is.....is.
Ha, ha!

Good one.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #108

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 67

i wonder if the post at the ok corral whitnessed it ? ya all need to figure out what your argueing about then spend some time on a pattern board at 15 then 40 yards the definition is is. fact prove it

Old 06-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
i wonder if the post at the ok corral whitnessed it ? ya all need to figure out what your argueing about then spend some time on a pattern board at 15 then 40 yards the definition is is. fact prove it
I agree, the true subject to be proven has to be agreed upon before doing testing.

First step would be to decide what criteia we want to use for the test.

Do we consider simply being able to hit a target sufficient?
Do we want to avoid pellets straying of of a human silhouette or is that acceptable?
What percentage of payload on target is considered effective?
What percentage of payload off target is condidered too high a risk for collatral damage?
Would we want a test at a specific fixed range or a variety of distances to establish what the max distance is for a given load?
Could we agree on a single standard load to test?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #110
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Skeet

My skeet Cpt said our eye was the rear sight and thats why it was important to mount the shotgun the same way every single time. I shoot a Baretta parallel target gun so no matter where I place my head, it is supposed to be lined up w barrel.

As long as your testing, would you mind trying different head placement and see how this moves patterns ?

Thanks.

FBI performed a lot of tests w shotguns and one of their conclusions was they needed stocks and sights to be able to hit anything. The defensive shotgun is a separate discipline than wingshooting.