Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun Mythbusting VIDEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 115 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun Mythbusting VIDEO

It's surprising how often I hear people say that the shotgun is the best home defense weapon because...."you don't have to aim it, just point and shoot." This video explains and shows why that is ridiculous, a bit of shotgun mythbusting, if you will.

Last edited by Amsdorf; 06-13-2012 at 03:38 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #2

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I'm not sure if you're trying to argue whether or not the shotgun is the best home defense weapon or if the statement you don't have to aim a shotgun is simply inaccurate.

I think that the shotgun is the best home defense weapon. I also think that you have to aim every gun. However, there is a lot more room for error with a shotgun. Also, you can use a load that isn't going to go through walls and hit a family member or your neighbor. The problem with that video is that if those were people, save for the last one, they'd all be very dead. And there's just no way you're going to be shooting at someone in a home defense situation from 30 yards.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

Thanks for your comment, I put my comment in the video details, but, yes, the shotgun is a superb home defense weapon. You put a load of .00 buck in a bad guy's chest and he is going down, forever.

You are right, that you won't be shooting at 30 yards in a home defense situation, inside a house, that is.

But, my point in showing that is even at 30 yards, the shot is not scattering so broadly you could get away without aiming.

I'll add a note to the video to make my point more clear.

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

There are shotguns, then there are shotguns.
There are shotgun shells, then there are shotgun shells.

Put a slug barrel on it then shoot 6 shot at 40 feet. I get about an 8 foot spread.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Liked 180 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I took out my new HD shotgun again yesterday, I got some regular buck I shot it out of turkey choke and no choke, at 10 yards turkey choke put all the shot right into a nice little tight group, where no choke had a 1/2 foot grouping. I guess if you had to you could shoot from the hip and hit what your aiming at at that distance but you still risk missing.

I think that all of this massive spread people think you get out of a shotgun is all hollywood, thanks for the video always nice to see someone teach people actual facts.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #6

Thank you sir, for your kind remark, glad you found the video helpful.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #7

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

If a shotgun did NOT require aiming, I estimate that I would have killed an additional 237 doves, 192 rabbits, 167 squirrels, 27 pheasants, 12 deer, and at least 1,000 clay pigeons.

The closest thing I have ever seen to a point and pray was the 90mm recoilless rifle with a cannister load. That is 2400 little wire darts- and that STILL has to be aimed.

While a shotgun is the most efficient close range bad guy remover I know of, as the original poster said, you have to hit your target. Good info- thanks

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If a shotgun did NOT require aiming, I estimate that I would have killed an additional 237 doves, 192 rabbits, 167 squirrels, 27 pheasants, 12 deer, and at least 1,000 clay pigeons.

The closest thing I have ever seen to a point and pray was the 90mm recoilless rifle with a cannister load. That is 2400 little wire darts- and that STILL has to be aimed.

While a shotgun is the most efficient close range bad guy remover I know of, as the original poster said, you have to hit your target. Good info- thanks

Thanks, I'm amused that on a few other forums where I posted this I actually have guys who skeet shooting trying to compare their skeet shooting to .00 defensive shooting. Seriously.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

dmn i think we have true genius here!!! hd with a hd gun and moving targets are 2 different things come out and shoot some clays with your mb we then can see the differance. seriously then let me shoot the same targets you just shot with my gun and lets see how it patterns dont worry the zombies are coming and you will be safe

Old 05-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #10

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

while a shotgun is a very good goblin stopper, when you discharge one using a typical 00 buckshot round you are responsible for every stray shot. cranking off at the hip and spray and pray attitude your going to have lots of pelets scooting past the bad guy.

buckshot has a very nasty tendency towards extreme overpenetration on walls. if you aim centermass your using the goblin as a backstop for all the projectiles. if your shooting from the hip your liekly to be using loved ones or neighbors as a backstop... murphy is an excellent shot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...