wrong ammo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > wrong ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default wrong ammo

I have a mossburg 500. On the barrel it has 2 3/4 and 3 inch. Can it shoot 3 inch magnums 00 buck 15 pellet.

The guy at walmart just handed them to me and I did not look.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

short answer...yes. A shotgun with a 3" chamber can shoot both.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #3

Just to make sure. Although it is not stamped on the barrel (2 3/4 and or 3 inch) It can shoot 3 inch mag. shells?

Sorry if I seem slow I just would want to damage a prefectly good gun for no reason.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
short answer...yes. A shotgun with a 3" chamber can shoot both.
Quoted for truth.

If it says 2.75 and 3" it can shoot both. The only restrictions might be with steel shot. But that's more a choke issue.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #5

Thank you boys very much.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchahi View Post
Just to make sure. Although it is not stamped on the barrel (2 3/4 and or 3 inch) It can shoot 3 inch mag. shells?

Sorry if I seem slow I just would want to damage a prefectly good gun for no reason.
Now I'm confused, you're first post said it is on the barrel your second says it isn't...which is it?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I see where you're getting confused. A 3 inch shell is a 3 inch shell. Magnum only refers to the pressure. Most modern guns like the Mossberg 500 are rated for 000 buck standards so it will stand up to magnum loads. Magnum refers to the pressure and adds no length to the shell. If your barrel is stamped, follow what its stamped with. If it isnt stamped with any info on what it takes then measure the chamber for yourself. Take the barrel off and measure to the point were the metal raises up and starts to taper down, 99% of the time there's a visual ring where the chamber ends if you shine a light in the other end.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Now I'm confused, you're first post said it is on the barrel your second says it isn't...which is it?
JPyle,

The op said that he was confused because the barrel does not have 2-3/4 and/or 3, but it is stamed 2-3/4 and 3.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
JPyle,

The op said that he was confused because the barrel does not have 2-3/4 and/or 3, but it is stamed 2-3/4 and 3.
ok...didn't pick that up when I read it, thanks

Old 04-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2118

Default Moss 500

Due to the different chokes, if you have interchangeble chokes, read what it says you can and cannot shoot as the prev. man said about steel shot. My Benelli is marked 2.75 to 3.5 and I shoot 3.5 Mag 00 buck thru full choke. the other 2 chokes are not for steel shot. The full choke I have will shoot both. Wills in da Swamp in La.