You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Would You Use a .410 For Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 269 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Would You Use a .410 For Defense?

I know,most people say go with something bigger,but all I have right now for usable shotguns is a break action .410,and i'm not asking for myself to use,but my wife.She is a little weary of using a gun,but I want her to have something when i'm not home because she won't take the time to learn my pistol.I have been reading a little about the very few buckshot loads available for a .410,but I am not sure if it is alltogether a bad idea to consider a single shot .410 as a usable weapon.With the right load,it's like 3 .38s going off or something like that,but you only got one shot.My wife brought up a good point that I never thought about too,a point that me as the man of the house don't worry about-she's afraid of shooting me or something,if she sees a man in the middle of the night,she might think it's a bad guy,but really it's me.I don't worry about that because if I saw a man in my house,i'll shoot.I just don't have many ideas for a stubborn wife to defend herself.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Use what you got. Make the best of it. Longest shell the shotty was made for and the heaviest load you can get. Buckshot and slugs. If she is willing to learn about it, have her practice unloading and loading as fast as she can with a couple of spent shells. Gettin the 'pop' to eject the shell and all.

You know all of that tho. Gettin the ladies involved is easier when they get to shoot something they like and are not overwhelmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:21 AM   #3

1st I agree with skull.
2nd when I come home in the middle of the night I call (cellphone) the wife and let her know I'm coming into the house. We feel (wife & I) that being woken up by a phone call for safe entry is better than me being surprised by gun fire. My wife doesn't like shotguns she uses .38 spl. revolvers.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I know,most people say go with something bigger,but all I have right now for usable shotguns is a break action .410,and i'm not asking for myself to use,but my wife.She is a little weary of using a gun,but I want her to have something when i'm not home because she won't take the time to learn my pistol.I have been reading a little about the very few buckshot loads available for a .410,but I am not sure if it is alltogether a bad idea to consider a single shot .410 as a usable weapon.With the right load,it's like 3 .38s going off or something like that,but you only got one shot.My wife brought up a good point that I never thought about too,a point that me as the man of the house don't worry about-she's afraid of shooting me or something,if she sees a man in the middle of the night,she might think it's a bad guy,but really it's me.I don't worry about that because if I saw a man in my house,i'll shoot.I just don't have many ideas for a stubborn wife to defend herself.
Sounds like the problem here is not what weapon you have, but they way of thinking has to be changed.

Every adult in the home should have a working knowledge of the firearms in the home, all of them.

Call or text and get a reply before you enter.

Always know your target.

Yes, the right load in a .410 can kill a man.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Can a 410 be used for self defense? Yes. Is it a good SD round? No. If it is all that you have then it can be used. A 3" buckshot load would hit hard enough inside a house to slow or stop most but a single shot shotgun won't replace your pistol for follow up even if the individual rounds are similar.

I have to agree with gojubrian. If you have weapons in your house, everyone who can access them needs to know how to use them and for the love of God, keep them out of reach of children.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14107 Times on 5962 Posts
Likes Given: 2342

Quote:
for the love of God, keep them out of reach of children
You are SO right.

They get peanut butter on your guns, and shoot up all your .22 ammo.

Yeah, I know, but I never let mine have toy guns. Just the real ones.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You are SO right.

They get peanut butter on your guns, and shoot up all your .22 ammo.
Not only that, but they have a tendency to blab to all their friends what you have....

And on topic, I'd think a blast of .410 right up the nasal cavity would make anyone stop.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
...And on topic, I'd think a blast of .410 right up the nasal cavity would make anyone stop.
True enough, but what are the chances of a skittish wife making an accurate shot in a life-or-death situation? Slim to none I'd guess, but hey...we are talking about a shotgun blast!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
True enough, but what are the chances of a skittish wife making an accurate shot in a life-or-death situation? Slim to none I'd guess, but hey...we are talking about a shotgun blast!
She could always poke it in the perps face and pull the trigger. Hard to miss at that distance....

Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
She could always poke it in the perps face and pull the trigger. Hard to miss at that distance....
Good one!