Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Would this be possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi22 View Post
Any way I can get the best of both worlds (one short barrel that shoots buckshot and one long barrel that shoots birdshot and slugs?).

Thanks
You do not need another barrel to fire birdshot or slugs. I have shot 00 Buck, 000 Buck, Birdshot, and Slugs through my 500. Make sure the slugs are "Rifled Slugs." If accuracy is the issue, the slugs were pretty accurate at 50yrds.

Now, I too have not been clay, pigeon, ect shooting, so I couldn't tell what you need there.

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 08-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWIII View Post
You do not need another barrel to fire birdshot or slugs. I have shot 00 Buck, 000 Buck, Birdshot, and Slugs through my 500. Make sure the slugs are "Rifled Slugs." If accuracy is the issue, the slugs were pretty accurate at 50yrds.

Now, I too have not been clay, pigeon, ect shooting, so I couldn't tell what you need there.
Thanks. Crazy, I just noticed you're from the Tampa Bay area. Small world? The range I've been talking about is the Shoot Straight off of 301 (and I-4). That's where I go to shoot indoor (slugs only). Any knowledge of skeet ranges around here, although you have never been? I know there's one out in Wesley Chapel/Zephyrhills area...

Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks. Crazy, I just noticed you're from the Tampa Bay area. Small world? The range I've been talking about is the Shoot Straight off of 301 (and I-4). That's where I go to shoot indoor (slugs only). Any knowledge of skeet ranges around here, although you have never been? I know there's one out in Wesley Chapel/Zephyrhills area...
Try this... LINK

I mainly shoot at the Dade City range "outdoor," and Shooting Sports "Tampa/Indoor." Firing Line "N.P.R./Indoor" is right down the street from me, but 5.56/.223 is not allowed yet.

That sucks you can't use buck at Straight Shoot; I geuss they don't want to have to pick up the wadding?

Is this going to be your 1st firearms purchase?

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 08-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #14

^^^Yes, it was my first firearm purchase. But I've been a member there shooting all sorts of firearms (renting pistols and borrowing employees shotguns).

Anyway, I just bought a Mossberg 500 12g tactical pump action with an 18.5" barrel for $260. I plan on getting a long barrel to switch to whenever the time comes and the wallet allows.

I'm picking it up Thursday. Thanks everybody for your help!

I'll post up some pics whenever I get it...

Thanks again.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #15

Quote:
.... As far as the range/field etiquette, are O/U and S/S's really the only thing you'll see there? Are the pump and semi guys going to catch that much slack? I've never been to shoot skeet or trap or clays, so I'm foreign to the subject.
Depends on two things: (1) The club where you are shooting; and, (2) who else is on the line with you. If you've got guys who are competing with expensive shotguns, you can expect to hear about that semiautomatic shotgun you're using. I've seen many an auto shooter moved to the end of the line or asked to switch places with someone who objected to having to stand on the right-hand side of an auto shotgun.

Trapshooting at my old hunting club? No, it was a potpourri; and nobody cared what you used. Trapshooting at any one of several different trap ranges I know? Yes, expect someone to say something to you. It's not, so much, the pump shotgun that's a problem - A pump can be controlled and is simply considered to be bourgeois. It's the semiauto shotgun that's sure to raise an objection, especially if there are other much more expensive guns on the line.

Quote:
Now, onto chokes: Looks like the general consensus is to keep some form of buckshot in a home defense shotgun, so the short barrel will be suited for that. In addition, the long barrel would need to be outfitted with a choke for sport shooting (I'm assuming birdshot?). Well, remember from my first post, my range only allows slugs. Any way I can get the best of both worlds (one short barrel that shoots buckshot and one long barrel that shoots birdshot and slugs?). Thanks
A short barrel with a more open choke = skeet shooting and self-defense. A long barrel with a much tighter choke = trapshooting (and self-defense). A pump action shotgun barreled with a short improved cylinder choke, (or a set of screw-ins) and a second longer full choke barrel sounds about right for what you are considering.

Anyway I wouldn't encourage you to make this decision based on what you MIGHT do on a trap or skeet range. Wingshooting is not a sport that everybody regularly pursues. Over the years I've brought a lot of new shooters to the range with me. Most don't stick around for too long.

Good wingshooting (20 + birds out of 25) takes time, effort, and lots of practice to learn. You need to make a commitment and have the determination to succeed along with a high tolerance for repeated public failure. Private practice with hand-thrown birds is only going to take you so far. The auto-throwing machines throw much faster (and less predictably) than anything you can throw by hand.

I've known far more shooters who didn't stay with wingshooting than those who did. On the other hand, I've shot next to men who were in their late 70's and 80's; they cleanly beat me by 2 or 3 birds and, occasionally shot perfect scores! So, once you learn how to do it the technique tends to stay with you.

As far as your present club goes? It's obviously not set up for either trap or skeet shooting. Use the link above, or start, HERE if you want to find a wingshooting facility near you.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:14 AM   #16

Well, everybody, here it is. Brand spankin' Mossberg 500 12g.

Thanks everybody for their help, I'm 100% happy with my purchase.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #17

Sweet you got it... Did it also come with the pistol grip?

Next, we'll see you over in the AR-15 threads huh? LOL

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 08-28-2008, 03:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWIII View Post
Sweet you got it... Did it also come with the pistol grip?

Next, we'll see you over in the AR-15 threads huh? LOL
Why, yes. Yes it did.

Who knows, but you'll definitely see me asking those obvious newb questions in the pistol forum once I turn 21, lol.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:31 AM   #19

Wow, in the above pic it almost looks like the magazine tube is bent, but trust me, it's just the pillow case that it's laid on.