Would this be possible?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Would this be possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Would this be possible?

Now, go easy on me. Seriously.

Here's my situation, I'm getting a shotgun. It'll sit at home 95% of the time (home protection). But, there's definitely a possibility that I'll have the chance to go hunting or skeet/clay/trap shooting, and I've got a feeling that I'd really enjoy it. Is there any way I can get a shotgun (12g) that I'll feel comfortable with sitting by my bed that I could get by with in the field?

Oh, and for the record, I know that any shotgun can be used in an unfortunate situation, but I'm looking for something that wouldn't feel like I'm carrying around rocket launcher when clearing rooms.

Additional info:
-I'd prefer 12 guage.
-My local (indoor) range only allows slugs. This is a different place than the skeet range I referred to earlier.
-Multiple barrels is definitely an option, if that has anything to do with my situation.
-I'm a total noob and this thread may be a total joke.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #2

Oh, and I'm left handed, and Mossberg's safeties feel very comfortable.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't think your thread idea is a joke. It's a fair question.

Since you are going with a 90%-95% home weapon, with a possibility of going skeet or trap shooting, I would suggest a Remington 870 or Remington 1100.

The 870 is a pump platform and the 1100 is a semi auto.

This is a weapon platform that has a ton of possibilities in both the factory platform, and the civilian aftermarket.

Now, this is not going to be a weapon that is going to get you a gold medal, or win a shooting club weekend championship in trap - but for home defense, and the possibilities of taking it hunting would be fine in this platform.

The weapon is reliable. It's not super expensive and there are parts for it all over the country.

Now, it's not the best choice for either application, but for a choice that can fill both categories, I think this would fit the bill.

Give them a look and see what you think.

JD

EDIT: I just noticed the left handed part. Both models come in a left handed package, but don't have as many factory options as the RH models.

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-16-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Additional thought

Old 08-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #4

Any reason you chose Remington over Mossbergs? From what I've seen at gun shows and shops, Mossbergs seem to have a better aftermarket for the tactical shotgun.

On another note, I just thought: Would it be plausible to buy a field gun, then outfit it with a 18" (or so) barrel, and switch back anytime I plan to make a trip out to shoot?

Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if mossbergs top tang safety feels better to you then go for it. There as good as a remington any day, the maverick version of the mossbergs are not however. You can buy 18" home defense barrels for both brands and then swap out when you go to the range. One thing to remember tho is some of Mossberg 500 models have ported barrels and you cant shoots slugs thru them so keep that in mind as well.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:39 AM   #6

Right, I read up on that one. Rifled barrels=non-rifled slugs, and vice versa, correct? Something like that. (Don't worry, when it comes down to it, I'll be much more confident in my assumptions).

Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The top two selling shotguns are the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500.

Either will get you where you want to be. A simple extra barrel in the safe is all you will need to switch from a HD shotgun to a field gun. Stock doesn't matter as you can have either wood or synthetic.

The nice thing about both the 870 and 500 are the avalibilty of aftermarket barrels and other gadgets.

If you want a deer hunting shotgun too just add a rifled slug barrel with a scope mount and bang you got a deadly accurate slug slinger as well.....

Remington 870 Barrels

Mossberg 500 Barrels

Old 08-17-2008, 04:45 AM   #8

Did you say: self-defense, trap, and skeet?

Listen, if I wanted to really really annoy the guys I shoot trap with all I got 'a do is show up with a semiautomatic shotgun. The guy standing to my right - You know, the person with the $20,000.00 over/under Krieghoff shotgun - will positively want to kill you the moment you start ejecting spent shells toward his precious baby!

If this is something that you really want to do, and you do NOT intend to spend big money on an expensive receiver with a matched set of barrels, then get a pump shotgun. This way you can turn the ejection port toward the ground and/or pop the spent hull into your hand rather than automatically flinging spent hulls towards someone else on the line.

Self-defense (or skeet) is usually a cylinder or an improved cylinder bore and a short 18.5" to 24" barrel. Trap on the other hand is full choke and a 28" to 30" barrel. It's not uncommon for people like this to have one receiver and a set, or two, of different barrels.

Not anymore, but I used to keep three different receivers in two different gauges and several sets of barrels - Something for every occasion! Nowadays, I'm down to one 12 gauge receiver and 3 barrels.

There is a lot of carryover value between wing shooting with a shotgun, and point shooting with a pistol. I've always been very good at point shooting; probably because of all the practice I got wing shooting twice a week with the boys!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi22 View Post
Oh, and I'm left handed, and Mossberg's safeties feel very comfortable.
I think you answered your own question. Go with the Mossberg 500. I have one; works great for me.

Also, fieild stripping is rather simple.

Anyway,whatever you decide besure to repost and let us know what you got and how you like it.

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 08-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Did you say: self-defense, trap, and skeet?

Listen, if I wanted to really really annoy the guys I shoot trap with all I got 'a do is show up with a semiautomatic shotgun. The guy standing to my right - You know, the person with the $20,000.00 over/under Krieghoff shotgun - will positively want to kill you the moment you start ejecting spent shells toward his precious baby!

If this is something that you really want to do, and you do NOT intend to spend big money on an expensive receiver with a matched set of barrels, then get a pump shotgun. This way you can turn the ejection port toward the ground and/or pop the spent hull into your hand rather than automatically flinging spent hulls towards someone else on the line.
Yep, I did say that. Keep in mind I'm not as experienced as 99% of you. I'm just a guy looking to get into shotguns and wondering /if/how I can get opposite ends of the spectrum into the same package.

As far as the range/field etiquette, are O/U and S/S's really the only thing you'll see there? Are the pump and semi guys going to catch that much slack? I've never been to shoot skeet or trap or clays, so I'm foreign to the subject.

To JWIII: I've been researching all night, and if at all possible, I'm looking at getting the 500 and an extra (field) barrel.

Now, onto chokes: Looks like the general consensus is to keep some form of buckshot in a home defense shotgun, so the short barrel will be suited for that. In addition, the long barrel would need to be outfitted with a choke for sport shooting (I'm assuming birdshot?). Well, remember from my first post, my range only allows slugs. Any way I can get the best of both worlds (one short barrel that shoots buckshot and one long barrel that shoots birdshot and slugs?).

Thanks