Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester SXP Defender questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTY View Post
Under, my father did the something similiar, except he gave me my grandfather's 1897 trench gun. It's been a project, the condition of the weapon wasn't the greatest, but I'm still working on it to get it into firing condition again!
WOW!! talk about a legendary gun.
Good luck on your project.
I would like to see that one when it's finished.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
WOW!! talk about a legendary gun.
Good luck on your project.
I would like to see that one when it's finished.
I'm thinking I will start a progressive thread when I get the parts for the shotgun and show step by step what was done and eventually have the finished product at a range or the desert.

"In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity." - Winston Churchill

Old 08-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #13

Quick update. So I have received, fired, broke down, cleaned and started to modify my new Winchester.

Heres my report so far:

PROS:
1) Attractive looking, very clean and modern lines with nice red inlay on the logo and top body line. Finish is superb.
2) Feels very solid in hand; this was one of the reasons I chose the Winchester over the Mossy 500
3) Action is buttery smooth and lightning fast. I've only been able to put around 100 rounds through but so far I'm very satisfied.
4) The price. I purchased the Winchester brand spanking new for $299. In my book that counts as a bargain shotgun, but it really doesn't look or behave like one.
CONS
1) The biggest complaint that i have about the Winchester so far is the complete lack of aftermarket following. I know that Winchesters in general have never had a big aftermarket following like Remingtons or Mossbergs, it still would be nice to have some different stocks available as well as an extended mag tube.

I'm going to post some pics real soon

"In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity." - Winston Churchill

Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #14

Default winchester sxp with ATI collapsible stock

well i just bought a SXP and i had the same trouble everyone else is having, love the gun, want the parts

so i bought winchester 1300 parts, ati stoock, hogue forend, and sun... something optic rail

after emailing back and forth with a rep from ATI and being slightly irritated by the lack of customer service and the fact that they just dont want anything to do with the sxp line, i took the stock and lined it up on the gun, to me the adaptor of a mossberg 500 or remingto 870 would have been way closer to work with than the one off the 1300, i took the adaptor and cut the triangles off.

when you line the stock up with the gun you can clearly see that the adaptor without the traingle is nearly a perfect fit, i will post a pic, given this mod isnt done, i need to sit down with a dremel and clean up the edges and maybe re powder coat the piece

next the hogue forend felt way better than the stock one, only problem is when its installed it isnt tight, it would need an additional washer or spacer, it has about 2-3 mm of play, easy fix if i can find a spacer in laying around that will fit in.

now the sun optics, cant remember the name, scope rail, sits perfectly on top of the gun, but the holes for the trigger are slightly off, and when you tighten the whole thing down it binds up the action and trigger movements, so fix for it that i am going to do and just have it on top of the gun in the pic, is cut the sides off about half way up there a nice cutting line, if you dont mind doing this, i am going to jb weld the rail on, i dont want to drill into the reciever and put a screw in somewhere were it will hit something and make things not work, it isnt the best way but i believe that it will be hidden enough that nobody will know and i probably wont sell the gun for a long time anyways. probably will have to do a little powder coating on it to make it look mint again too.

the fourth mod that i didnt mention is the follower, the original is plastic, so i used one of my arrows that had bad fletchings and pretty much destroyed to pound it out from the reciever end, best thing i could find long enough that wouldnt scratch the tube up and had flex to get the whole way down the tube, they must have installed them before they put the dimples in on the end of the mag tube, i replaced it with a red billet aluminum one for a remington 870, matches the color scheme of the gun, and you can see when your empty , no plastic to bind up.

if they dont make parts for something make your own.....lol

dscn1931.jpg  

Last edited by hookedonsprockets; 11-02-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #15

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I did some web snooping and couldn't find much for your model. Midway has a pretty nice adjustable stock and foregrip, that's all. Brownell's didn't have anything.
Do you know anyone with a 1200 or 1300 Winchester? If you do, I would take the mag cap off the sxp and see if it is the same thread as is on the 1200/1300. My guess is Win uses the same thread for tooling expense purposes. If it is the same, an extension for those models would probably work. Tacstar makes some, I'm not sure who else. I had to find a guy in TX who machines them one at a time to put one on my Stoeger M2000.

I found this for sx2/sx3,
http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/nordic-components-winchester-sx2-sx3-magazine-extensions-p-1527.html

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Last edited by fireguy; 11-03-2011 at 03:19 AM. Reason: found link

Old 11-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #16

the threading is different, i bought a mag extension that was suppose to be safe for 18" barrel but its too long for the SXP, the extension can only be 1 1/2" max to be legal would only add maybe 1 round if the spring compresses enough

Old 11-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19561 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

shifty, i bought one several months ago, and really like the gun, but also would like to see some more aftermarket parts support for it. even my wife likes shooting it and likes it kept in the bedroom for BG's! i also have a Maverick 88, which is made by Mossberg and can use parts from the 500. which one is better? hard question. as this is the first Winchester pump i have ever owned and have had several Mossberg and Maverick pumps and all have performed very well.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #18

Default magazine extension

TacStar mag extension for the winchester model 1200/1300 fits correctly on the SXP defender. I have one. However, the 7 shot extension extends about 2 and 1/4 inches past the end of the barrel. I am sure this is not a problem for slugs, and its unlikely to be a problem for shot. it also might protect the end of your barrel in some circumstances. however, i do not use mine.

i have a very snugly attached (cdmgear Mod-C), powerful flashlight (olight M2 warrior) on the end of my shotgun and i can operate it very conveniently and intuitively with my fore-end hand. the magazine extension knurled surface for tightening or removing the extension is thick enough that it cannot be fit on there with the flashlight.

i live out in the country a bit and when its dark, its really f-ing dark. i removed the mag-spring retainer permanently, and this allows me to put 5 in the tube. i decided i'd rather be able to see what i am pointing at and have 6 shots than have 8 shots and not be able to see my target.

of course, I could mill some material off of the mag extension so the flashlight can be attached, but i have not done so yet. part of the reaosn i have not is the extending past the barrel issue. it adds length to the shotgun, which i dont like, and, frankly, it looks pretty dumb

regarding accessories:
the cdmgear flashlight mounts are really tight and solid, and hold the flashlight very close to the barrel. i really like it.

the mag extension by Tacstar is very solid, steel, precision machined (threads are nice and snug) and comes with an extended spring.

tacstar also makes a side-saddle for the win1300 that fits the sxp defender, but you'll need to make modifications to attach it completely. the rear pin-replacement bolt and nut work perfectly. i opted for putting a tapped (3/16" diameter, 48 tpi, using a 5/16" long bolt) hole in the receiver that holds the front of the sidesaddle on there nicely.

i have not tried the ati or any other stock...i like the stock stock.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #19

Default Need some input with SXP Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonsprockets View Post
well i just bought a SXP and i had the same trouble everyone else is having, love the gun, want the parts

so i bought winchester 1300 parts, ati stoock, hogue forend, and sun... something optic rail

after emailing back and forth with a rep from ATI and being slightly irritated by the lack of customer service and the fact that they just dont want anything to do with the sxp line, i took the stock and lined it up on the gun, to me the adaptor of a mossberg 500 or remingto 870 would have been way closer to work with than the one off the 1300, i took the adaptor and cut the triangles off.

when you line the stock up with the gun you can clearly see that the adaptor without the traingle is nearly a perfect fit, i will post a pic, given this mod isnt done, i need to sit down with a dremel and clean up the edges and maybe re powder coat the piece

next the hogue forend felt way better than the stock one, only problem is when its installed it isnt tight, it would need an additional washer or spacer, it has about 2-3 mm of play, easy fix if i can find a spacer in laying around that will fit in.

now the sun optics, cant remember the name, scope rail, sits perfectly on top of the gun, but the holes for the trigger are slightly off, and when you tighten the whole thing down it binds up the action and trigger movements, so fix for it that i am going to do and just have it on top of the gun in the pic, is cut the sides off about half way up there a nice cutting line, if you dont mind doing this, i am going to jb weld the rail on, i dont want to drill into the reciever and put a screw in somewhere were it will hit something and make things not work, it isnt the best way but i believe that it will be hidden enough that nobody will know and i probably wont sell the gun for a long time anyways. probably will have to do a little powder coating on it to make it look mint again too.

the fourth mod that i didnt mention is the follower, the original is plastic, so i used one of my arrows that had bad fletchings and pretty much destroyed to pound it out from the reciever end, best thing i could find long enough that wouldnt scratch the tube up and had flex to get the whole way down the tube, they must have installed them before they put the dimples in on the end of the mag tube, i replaced it with a red billet aluminum one for a remington 870, matches the color scheme of the gun, and you can see when your empty , no plastic to bind up.

if they dont make parts for something make your own.....lol
I’m very impressed with all the mods you did to your Win SXP, I’m about mod mine like the the picture you posted can you please verify the ATI stock part#(SKU#) that you bought? Was it A.1.10.1135 - Scorpion Tactical Shotgun Stock(with side folding stock) or A.1.10.1141 - Talon Tactical Shotgun Stock Remington?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by M110; 03-29-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #20

um dont know the actual part number without digging for it, but its the talon 6 position non folding stock for the win 1300, im guessing if you like side folding stocks better that the mounting adaptor is probably the same for both stocks. i havent had any problems with the stock or any of the mods, i didnt use jb weld for the scope rail, ended up uses 3m double sided automotive stripping to hold it on, hasnt moved on me yet. i even fell with the gun and it didnt budge