Winchester SXP Defender questions
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Winchester SXP Defender questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester SXP Defender questions

This past Friday I purchased a new Winchester SXP Defender shotgun. It is my first shotgun purchase (although i have fired quite a few) and i bought it for HD and as well as a plinker for the desert. I was curious if anybody else owns or has been interested in this weapon?

I have tried to look for more info on this weapon and tried to see if there were any aftermarket parts available for it but haven't been able to find much.
From my understanding this is a fairly new weapon and it is Winchester's re-entry into the tactical pump shotgun arena, the last being the 1300 defender.

If anyone has any info on parts available for the weapon or you want to put your 2 in all replies are welcomed.

Here is the weapon if you are interested in looking at it:
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=021C&mid=512252

Last edited by SHIFTY; 07-13-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: added link

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #2

I like Winchester Shotguns. I own 3 of them; 1 model 12, 1 model 1500XTR, 1 model 1300. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of accessories out there for the Winchesters. I don't know why...there just isn't.

The SXP Defender has a chrome plated 18" fixed cylinder choked barrel. The open choke design is for wide patterning. The open choke is also very accurate when using Foster-type slugs.

Good choice The Defender series.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 AM   #3

Thanks, good to hear that you enjoy your Winchester weapons!
The one item I would really like to have is a extended mag tube.
But, it sounds like ill have to wait and see if the weapon gains some popularity and some aftermarket following.
I wish there were some pistol grip stock options though.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats! Like UnderFire, I like Winchester shotguns. My favorite shotgun, the Super X-1, was one of the greatest autoloaders ever made, and the Model 12 needs no introduction as one of the greatest pumps in the world. Enjoy!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 07-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
Congrats! Like UnderFire, I like Winchester shotguns. My favorite shotgun, the Super X-1, was one of the greatest autoloaders ever made, and the Model 12 needs no introduction as one of the greatest pumps in the world. Enjoy!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to owning this weapon. Like I said it is my first shotgun purchase so it should open a new door for me in the wonderful shooting world!
If anyone has any info on extended mag tubes or different stock options for this weapon please let me know!

Last edited by SHIFTY; 07-14-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
Missileman,

My Winchester model 12 is the first shotgun I've ever shot, it was my dad's.
I killed my first Buck with it when I was 15 yrs. old.

I still remember when my dad gave it to me...it was the day I graduated tech school in the navy. My mom & dad come up to me smiling and very excited like most of the parents that day. I had received town liberty that day. My dad & mom take me out to dinner. At dinner, I remember my dad saying, "son, I'm so proud of you I'm going to give you my Winchester 12 gauge." The ironic thing is, is that the model 12 had been in my bedroom closet at home for the last couple of years already. I had already considered it mine. I guess my dad was just making it official.

You're right the model 12 needs no introduction. I don't think anything can share the stage with that legend. Well, maybe the Remmy 870 can.

To SHIFTY,
This might be your 1st shotgun, but I bet it won't be your last.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #7

I bet you're right!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Missileman,

My Winchester model 12 is the first shotgun I've ever shot, it was my dad's.
I killed my first Buck with it when I was 15 yrs. old.

I still remember when my dad gave it to me...it was the day I graduated tech school in the navy. My mom & dad come up to me smiling and very excited like most of the parents that day. I had received town liberty that day. My dad & mom take me out to dinner. At dinner, I remember my dad saying, "son, I'm so proud of you I'm going to give you my Winchester 12 gauge." The ironic thing is, is that the model 12 had been in my bedroom closet at home for the last couple of years already. I had already considered it mine. I guess my dad was just making it official.

You're right the model 12 needs no introduction. I don't think anything can share the stage with that legend. Well, maybe the Remmy 870 can.

To SHIFTY,
This might be your 1st shotgun, but I bet it won't be your last.
Great story, Under! My dad gave me my first shotgun also, except it was a Mossberg 16ga bolt action--not the Model 12 I was hoping for, but I loved it just the same. I picked up a Browning made Model 12 (short run) in 20ga and it's my favorite pump. I'd like to find one in 28ga, but they're pricey!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 07-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #9

Under, my father did the something similiar, except he gave me my grandfather's 1897 trench gun. It's been a project, the condition of the weapon wasn't the greatest, but I'm still working on it to get it into firing condition again!

Last edited by SHIFTY; 07-14-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

While have not actually handled one, the SXP appears to be an updated 1300. The 1200/1300 series are my personal favorite pump shotguns EVER! Fast rugged, fantastic barrel strength, easy to work on. The only shortcoming is they do not have as many aftermarket accessories available as the Mossbergs or 870's.

Judging by the pics, they appear to able to accept accessories that work on the 1300's