Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester Super X Model 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Winchester Super X Model 1

Anyone else have a Winchester Super X-1? Although I'm a Remington 1100 fanatic, there's just something about the X-1 that I love. Years ago I traded a Ruger O/U that I couldn't shoot well for 2 Super X-1s, one field, and one really nice skeet model. The skeet model is my favorite for 12 ga skeet.
They are big, heavy, and not fun to carry in the field all day hunting, but they were pretty much hand-made and great shooters. They are still fairly reasonable when you can find one, which is kind of surprising given how the Model 12s have gone up. I saw 3 Trap Models at my gun store this weekend, each for $575 and each with fancy wood and M/C stocks. Might have to break down and get one of them...
Anyone else shoot one?

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #2

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Small world.

I love to old original Super X!

For the last 2 gun shows in ____ I've seen a retired worker from a Winchester-Olin powder plant. He tells me many years ago, Winchester would allow their employees to purchase one gun a year at a big employee discount.

You got it - He has a NIB Super X skeet with what looks like a high grade stock. I drolled over it but was way way short of the $1,800 he was asking. Last show he still had it and had dropped the price to $1,500. I can't come close to afford even that price.

Now coincidently, I'm going back to that same show this weekend. If I see him and he still has it - I'll get his contact info for you if you want.

Let me know.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought, along with a trade, a 1974 Super-X NIB for $500.00. That was about eight years ago. 30 inch barrel with a full choke and I used it for shooting trap.

Took it pheasant hunting once in 9 degree weather and broke the recoil buffer and had to use it as a single shot the rest of the morning.

IMHO very great gun and one that I'll never part with.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
Small world.

I love to old original Super X!

For the last 2 gun shows in ____ I've seen a retired worker from a Winchester-Olin powder plant. He tells me many years ago, Winchester would allow their employees to purchase one gun a year at a big employee discount.

You got it - He has a NIB Super X skeet with what looks like a high grade stock. I drolled over it but was way way short of the $1,800 he was asking. Last show he still had it and had dropped the price to $1,500. I can't come close to afford even that price.

Now coincidently, I'm going back to that same show this weekend. If I see him and he still has it - I'll get his contact info for you if you want.

Let me know.
That would be great, thanks. My skeet model has higher grade wood also--maybe it was standard on those. The trap models I've seen have had either regular or monte carlo stocks with better wood, but not as good as the skeet models.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
I bought, along with a trade, a 1974 Super-X NIB for $500.00. That was about eight years ago. 30 inch barrel with a full choke and I used it for shooting trap.

Took it pheasant hunting once in 9 degree weather and broke the recoil buffer and had to use it as a single shot the rest of the morning.

IMHO very great gun and one that I'll never part with.
I bought a few O rings and carry them for spares, but never had one go bad during a shoot. In a pinch I believe Remington 1100 O rings will work also, which are much easier to find.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Winchester never had a good auto loader before the Super X came out. Their model 12 pump gun was the standard all others were judged by. So Winchester tried to build the Super X to the same standards as the model 12. It never equaled the quality or workmanship of the model 12's but it was built from steel instead of alloy and plastic. Model 12's were mainly all milled guns but the Super X, while alot of the parts were milled, many parts were stamped steel. All in all a very high quality gun, far better than those with plastic or potmetal cast trigger housings and tin parts. I have had a few over the years and shot my first 25 straight in trap with one.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
I bought a few O rings and carry them for spares, but never had one go bad during a shoot. In a pinch I believe Remington 1100 O rings will work also, which are much easier to find.
It wasn't the o-rings but the actual buffer pad located behind the bolt in the rear of the action. It's kind of a hard rubber semi sphere that's a real S O B to replace. I truly believe that the cold affected the part and it became brittle.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
It wasn't the o-rings but the actual buffer pad located behind the bolt in the rear of the action. It's kind of a hard rubber semi sphere that's a real S O B to replace. I truly believe that the cold affected the part and it became brittle.
OK, my mistake. Never had one go bad...

Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #9

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Sorry Dave - I did not see him today.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
Sorry Dave - I did not see him today.
No problem, I shouldn't think about getting another one anyway!! Thanks for trying.