Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Winchester Ranger Model 120 Info.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Winchester Ranger Model 120 Info.

I picked up this Winchester off of GB for a pretty good deal. I've been looking all over the web (much more than my prerequisite "Google" ) and I can't seem to find any solid info. regarding collect-ability, dates of manufacture, etc. I can't even locate it in my Gun Digest price guide???

I know it's an "economical" version of the 1300, but I read somewhere that there were only 5,000 of these made. Don't know if that's true or not.

I was originally gonna saw the barrel down (to 18-1/2" of course) and install a pistol grip, but I'd hate to modify a firearm that could be desired by a collector.

Anyone with experience with these?

p1010165.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

The Ranger 120's were "economy" versions of the 1200/1300 shotguns. Think of them as the Winchester version of the Remington 870 Express. Lesser quality finish and wood. I do not know about production numbers but there is generally little interest in "bargain" level firearms (unless only one or two ever made). Even if they commanded a premium for scarcity, they would be worth about $200.

I have one and love it. $150 new and shoots great. Enjoy your new utility shotgun.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks Robo, so what do you vote, chop it up or leave it?

If I chopped it up (18" and pistol grip) I could make an external backpack holster and have a great woods gun w/ slugs/buck shot, on the other hand it is a good camp site gun as is, but I'd always have to still have a big bore revolver for the trails.

Decisions, decisions. . .

Old 08-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Chop it. Do you know how to do it properly?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

No, But I always do my homework for good preparation for any firearms related project.

Do you have any suggestions or links to any place that would have helpful guidance?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

First suggestion- do not take the barrel below 19 inches- just in case YOUR ruler is off a smidgen. A smidgen is defined as 10 years in a Federal pen.

Second, it IS possible to cut a barrel yourself, and do it right. The best means would be a lathe (IMHO) but can be done with a power hacksaw- or even a hand saw IF you have a 90 degree reference in 2 planes to keep the cut square and plumb. You will also want to crown the barrel when cut- the are tools for that- or use a drill driven brass ball and lapping compound. Or find yourself a smith, and contribute a coupla dollars to supporting the arts (of gunsmithing). Be certain that your overall length will also exceed 26 inches, or you get dropped into the Class III SBS category.

DO NOT USE A PIPECUTTER. The type with the hardened wheels that you clamp around a pipe and twist. They compress the pipe when cutting thru it, and reduce the diamter right at the cut. Not a big deal on a gas pipe, big deal on a shotgun muzzle. That and some barrels can be surprisngly tough metal.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks a bunch. I think I'll take it into a Smith and ask if I can pay him a little extra to allow me to watch the process.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
RMc

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Try Mike Orlen Barrel Mechanic

Mike Orlen can shorten and install choke tubes for less than most will charge for just cutting it off. Mike has done excellent work for me with a quick turn around.

Shotgunworld.com &bull; View topic - Barrel Service & Stockbending - Wholesale for SW Members